Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun noobie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Shotgun noobie

I just recently became a shot gun owner, so i`m not sure at all of what to use. I got a used Mossberg 500 with a 28" rifled barrel and a new H&R Pardner with a 18 or 18.5" smooth barrel. Both are pumps.

There are so many different kinds and types of ammo out there, that it is really confusing on what to buy. Suggestions sure would help. :-) Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Really depends on what you're going to use it for, bird hunting, home defense etc.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well, the H&R Pardner I was wanting to use as HD, and the mossberg, because it has the 28" barrel, I would just use at the range. Use the H&R at the range also. Some ammo says to use with rifled barrels and some say to use with smooth barrels, and then a LOT of them dont say either way.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

A 12 ga. is the most versatile gun around. The ammo and choke amke that the case. This is a really big topic. May I suggest a book on shotgunning? No particular one offhand...

Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Plinkster View Post
Well, the H&R Pardner I was wanting to use as HD, and the mossberg, because it has the 28" barrel, I would just use at the range. Use the H&R at the range also. Some ammo says to use with rifled barrels and some say to use with smooth barrels, and then a LOT of them dont say either way.
I doubt either barrel is rifled. IME, the rifled barrels are usually about 22" long and have rifle-type sights. The ones i've seen were labeled as slug barrels or rifled barrels. Some slugs work better in those rifled barrels; this is good for reasonably close deer hunting.

Opinions vary on HD ammo; some people say buckshot all the way, while others say turkey loads are better, while still others use smaller shot in fears of overpenetration or misdirected shots.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Newest Threads