Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun mythbusting chapter two video

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Shotgun mythbusting chapter two video

The myth I'm busting in this video series is that you don't have to aim a shotgun but can simply Rambo it from the hip.

Based on comments received, I shot a "Chapter Two" showing an example of hip shooting and aimed shooting, using 00 Buck.

In a self-defense situation, when you are using 00 Buck, inside your home, where you do NOT want stray pellets penetrating into other rooms, or even other houses, you must aim your shotgun, that is, shoulder it and sight it, not simply rely on point-shooting from your hip.

So, here you go. As far as I'm concerned the myth is busted.

What do you think? Take a look and let me know.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5879 Times on 2909 Posts
Likes Given: 6233

Thats One of the reasons I prefer a 16 Gauge, a little less lead flying around and danger close as is most cases in the home, it doesnt matter that its a bit smaller load.

The hip shot isnt as accurate but it doesn't mean you shouldn't practice it, actually, all the more reason! Home invasions happen pretty fast, the aggressor having the element of surprise generally and unless your faster on gaining a preferred posture, the hip shot may be all you have before you get shot by a prepared criminal who sees you pulling up a gun!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #3

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Great Video! Well done. You do have to "aim" a shotgun. Although some peoples definition of aiming is different.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #5

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

I appreciate the time you are taking to make and post these videos. I am a big proponent of "aiming", "Pointing deliberately", or whatever we want to call shooting a shotgun.

As part of qualifications, I have to hip shoot a shotgun at multiple targets. There is a technique I use and it involves using my support hand on the pump wiht my index finger pointed forward toward the target. I also point my trigger finger a the target before putting it on the trigger.

Since we have been pointing at things almost our whole lives, our brain really does have a good idea of exactly where out fingers are actually pointing. When I have a target between my fingers it's time to shoot. It works well enough to make hits on a human sized silhouette, but if the target was behind cover or I only had a small area to try and hit, then shouldering the weapon is much more reliable and precise.

Again, I think shoulder firing while making use of the sights or bead as a reference is still the best method out there.

Nice work.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #6

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Side question. What kind of camera are you using?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 72

i dont see your point

Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

your spot on correct. just firing in the general direction of a goblin is a good way to run out of ammo and have a pissed off goblin still coming at you.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I appreciate the time you are taking to make and post these videos. I am a big proponent of "aiming", "Pointing deliberately", or whatever we want to call shooting a shotgun.

As part of qualifications, I have to hip shoot a shotgun at multiple targets. There is a technique I use and it involves using my support hand on the pump wiht my index finger pointed forward toward the target. I also point my trigger finger a the target before putting it on the trigger.

Since we have been pointing at things almost our whole lives, our brain really does have a good idea of exactly where out fingers are actually pointing. When I have a target between my fingers it's time to shoot. It works well enough to make hits on a human sized silhouette, but if the target was behind cover or I only had a small area to try and hit, then shouldering the weapon is much more reliable and precise.

Again, I think shoulder firing while making use of the sights or bead as a reference is still the best method out there.

Nice work.
Thanks, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Side question. What kind of camera are you using?
I'm using...

This one.

Closed Thread