Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Shotgun mythbusting chapter two video (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-mythbusting-chapter-two-video-66587/)

Amsdorf 06-18-2012 12:36 AM

Shotgun mythbusting chapter two video

The myth I'm busting in this video series is that you don't have to aim a shotgun but can simply Rambo it from the hip.

Based on comments received, I shot a "Chapter Two" showing an example of hip shooting and aimed shooting, using 00 Buck.

In a self-defense situation, when you are using 00 Buck, inside your home, where you do NOT want stray pellets penetrating into other rooms, or even other houses, you must aim your shotgun, that is, shoulder it and sight it, not simply rely on point-shooting from your hip.

So, here you go. As far as I'm concerned the myth is busted.

What do you think? Take a look and let me know.

WebleyFosbery38 06-18-2012 01:26 AM

Thats One of the reasons I prefer a 16 Gauge, a little less lead flying around and danger close as is most cases in the home, it doesnt matter that its a bit smaller load.

The hip shot isnt as accurate but it doesn't mean you shouldn't practice it, actually, all the more reason! Home invasions happen pretty fast, the aggressor having the element of surprise generally and unless your faster on gaining a preferred posture, the hip shot may be all you have before you get shot by a prepared criminal who sees you pulling up a gun!

gmaster456 06-18-2012 01:30 AM

Great Video! Well done. You do have to "aim" a shotgun. Although some peoples definition of aiming is different.

Amsdorf 06-18-2012 01:34 AM

Thanks for the comments.

SSGN_Doc 06-18-2012 01:43 AM

I appreciate the time you are taking to make and post these videos. I am a big proponent of "aiming", "Pointing deliberately", or whatever we want to call shooting a shotgun.

As part of qualifications, I have to hip shoot a shotgun at multiple targets. There is a technique I use and it involves using my support hand on the pump wiht my index finger pointed forward toward the target. I also point my trigger finger a the target before putting it on the trigger.

Since we have been pointing at things almost our whole lives, our brain really does have a good idea of exactly where out fingers are actually pointing. When I have a target between my fingers it's time to shoot. It works well enough to make hits on a human sized silhouette, but if the target was behind cover or I only had a small area to try and hit, then shouldering the weapon is much more reliable and precise.

Again, I think shoulder firing while making use of the sights or bead as a reference is still the best method out there.

Nice work.

SSGN_Doc 06-18-2012 01:46 AM

Side question. What kind of camera are you using?

tonydewar 06-18-2012 01:56 AM

i dont see your point

JonM 06-18-2012 02:09 AM

your spot on correct. just firing in the general direction of a goblin is a good way to run out of ammo and have a pissed off goblin still coming at you.

Amsdorf 06-18-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 839668)
I appreciate the time you are taking to make and post these videos. I am a big proponent of "aiming", "Pointing deliberately", or whatever we want to call shooting a shotgun.

As part of qualifications, I have to hip shoot a shotgun at multiple targets. There is a technique I use and it involves using my support hand on the pump wiht my index finger pointed forward toward the target. I also point my trigger finger a the target before putting it on the trigger.

Since we have been pointing at things almost our whole lives, our brain really does have a good idea of exactly where out fingers are actually pointing. When I have a target between my fingers it's time to shoot. It works well enough to make hits on a human sized silhouette, but if the target was behind cover or I only had a small area to try and hit, then shouldering the weapon is much more reliable and precise.

Again, I think shoulder firing while making use of the sights or bead as a reference is still the best method out there.

Nice work.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Amsdorf 06-18-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 839672)
Side question. What kind of camera are you using?

I'm using...

This one.