Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun mag tube spring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default shotgun mag tube spring?

hi, i was wondering since my mossberg is my home defense and i like to keep it loaded, will it ruin the the spring after time??? ive noticed its gotten alot more loose after keeping it loaded all the time. but do you think it will ever get SO worn out that it will have problems cycling rounds??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #2

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Any pump shotgun can malfunction if you pump too rapidly. But, for most (maybe 99.999999%) people, it's simply not possible, they aren't fast enough.

Just keep it to a smooth, steady stroke (my that sounds so dirty...), and you should be fine. I recommend disassembling and reassembling your shotgun, studying how it functions exactly. Your worries will likely be assuaged.

If you continue to be bothered, you should know a couple of things...
Spring fatigue doesn't come from being compressed or relieved, it comes from constant cycling. This is why recoil springs in guns have a cycle life, and not a shelf life.

Also, replacements are cheap and easy to find. And... You can pull the tube and stretch that spring by hand as a temporary fix to increase pressure.

But still, if you don't just pump it as hard and rapidly as you can, you shouldn't have a problem, as long as the spring has enough tension to move the shell.

Disclaimer: sorry that some of that just sounded dirty... but, really, I'm talking about "pumping" a shotgun. How can it not sound dirty when you're talking about pumping something?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

i suppose your right, i took the mossberg apart once, it was alittle harder to put back together than i expected.. i had to watch a youtube video on it :P

ill stop worrying, your right a new spring isn't too expensive.
haha no worries about dirtyness friend.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #4

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Any pump shotgun can malfunction if you pump too rapidly. But, for most (maybe 99.999999%) people, it's simply not possible, they aren't fast enough.

Just keep it to a smooth, steady stroke (my that sounds so dirty...), and you should be fine. I recommend disassembling and reassembling your shotgun, studying how it functions exactly. Your worries will likely be assuaged.

If you continue to be bothered, you should know a couple of things...
Spring fatigue doesn't come from being compressed or relieved, it comes from constant cycling. This is why recoil springs in guns have a cycle life, and not a shelf life.

Also, replacements are cheap and easy to find. And... You can pull the tube and stretch that spring by hand as a temporary fix to increase pressure.

But still, if you don't just pump it as hard and rapidly as you can, you shouldn't have a problem, as long as the spring has enough tension to move the shell.

Disclaimer: sorry that some of that just sounded dirty... but, really, I'm talking about "pumping" a shotgun. How can it not sound dirty when you're talking about pumping something?
I guess I'm narrow minded but I was laughing the whole time I was reading your post lol

Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post

I guess I'm narrow minded but I was laughing the whole time I was reading your post lol
Ah jeez... I just read it again. It's worse than I thought...

Old 01-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #6

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Ah jeez... I just read it again. It's worse than I thought...
Lol I know what you are saying in it but it's still funny lol

Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

i also chuckled alittle while reading it, but at least ppl still have a sense of humor