Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   shotgun mag tube spring? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-mag-tube-spring-81606/)

alex19ccc 01-17-2013 02:41 PM

shotgun mag tube spring?

hi, i was wondering since my mossberg is my home defense and i like to keep it loaded, will it ruin the the spring after time??? ive noticed its gotten alot more loose after keeping it loaded all the time. but do you think it will ever get SO worn out that it will have problems cycling rounds??

trip286 01-17-2013 03:10 PM

Any pump shotgun can malfunction if you pump too rapidly. But, for most (maybe 99.999999%) people, it's simply not possible, they aren't fast enough.

Just keep it to a smooth, steady stroke (my that sounds so dirty...), and you should be fine. I recommend disassembling and reassembling your shotgun, studying how it functions exactly. Your worries will likely be assuaged.

If you continue to be bothered, you should know a couple of things...
Spring fatigue doesn't come from being compressed or relieved, it comes from constant cycling. This is why recoil springs in guns have a cycle life, and not a shelf life.

Also, replacements are cheap and easy to find. And... You can pull the tube and stretch that spring by hand as a temporary fix to increase pressure.

But still, if you don't just pump it as hard and rapidly as you can, you shouldn't have a problem, as long as the spring has enough tension to move the shell.

Disclaimer: sorry that some of that just sounded dirty... but, really, I'm talking about "pumping" a shotgun. How can it not sound dirty when you're talking about pumping something?

alex19ccc 01-17-2013 03:23 PM

i suppose your right, i took the mossberg apart once, it was alittle harder to put back together than i expected.. i had to watch a youtube video on it :P

ill stop worrying, your right a new spring isn't too expensive.
haha no worries about dirtyness friend.

akers06 01-17-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1097619)
Any pump shotgun can malfunction if you pump too rapidly. But, for most (maybe 99.999999%) people, it's simply not possible, they aren't fast enough.

Just keep it to a smooth, steady stroke (my that sounds so dirty...), and you should be fine. I recommend disassembling and reassembling your shotgun, studying how it functions exactly. Your worries will likely be assuaged.

If you continue to be bothered, you should know a couple of things...
Spring fatigue doesn't come from being compressed or relieved, it comes from constant cycling. This is why recoil springs in guns have a cycle life, and not a shelf life.

Also, replacements are cheap and easy to find. And... You can pull the tube and stretch that spring by hand as a temporary fix to increase pressure.

But still, if you don't just pump it as hard and rapidly as you can, you shouldn't have a problem, as long as the spring has enough tension to move the shell.

Disclaimer: sorry that some of that just sounded dirty... but, really, I'm talking about "pumping" a shotgun. How can it not sound dirty when you're talking about pumping something?

I guess I'm narrow minded but I was laughing the whole time I was reading your post lol

trip286 01-17-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akers06 (Post 1097662)

I guess I'm narrow minded but I was laughing the whole time I was reading your post lol

Ah jeez... I just read it again. It's worse than I thought...

akers06 01-17-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1097670)

Ah jeez... I just read it again. It's worse than I thought...

Lol I know what you are saying in it but it's still funny lol

alex19ccc 01-19-2013 02:02 PM

i also chuckled alittle while reading it, but at least ppl still have a sense of humor :D