Shotgun kickback... damn!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun kickback... damn!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shotgun kickback... damn!

I had the chance to fire off a few rounds in a friends Maverick 88 12g shotgun at the weekend and was surprised at just how much kickback a shotgun has. I was expecting to feel it but not for my shoulder to still be sore 2 days later. I guess my question is is that normal? I just a ***** or is there a difference between them all?

Do more expensive shotguns have a recoil buffer system?

I was planning on getting one the same myself as a home defense weapon but now I'm in two minds. I know my wife could never handle one, she's 5'2" and on the dainty side. Plus I'm sure if I took her to the range and fired it for herself she'd never touch the thing again after the first shot.

It was the standard 18.5" barrel with synthetic stock, would a collapsible stock with their rubber but pads soften the kick much?

I also tried firing a few holding it to at my side and found I was pretty accurate so would I be better off getting one with a pistol grip and firing it that way?

We used a mix of Federal 2 3/4 shells in both buckshot and slug. Are some shells softer kicking than others, while still an effective defense round?

Alot of questions I know but when it comes to shotguns I know very little so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

12 gauge pumps are definitely hard recoilers--especially with short barrels, synthetic stocks, etc. which make them lighter. There's not much you can do other than install a good recoil pad (there's probably already one on there) and perhaps port the barrel--but I've found porting to have a minimum impact, especially on short barreled shotguns. If you want to lower the recoil, you'll need to go to a gas-operated semi-auto, like a Remington 1100. A Remington 1100 in 20 gauge is a great woman's shotgun, but for defense they aren't quite as reliable because of the action--however, I've shot tens of thousands of round through my 1100s and when properly maintained they are rock solid reliable. As always, just have her practice with it--skeet is a great training aid for shotgun shooting and she may get hooked on it!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 05-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #3

Buckshot and slugs will have a greater kick than your low-brass shells. Get a little heavier gun. Also, length of pull will have an effect on recoil.The absolute worst gun to shoot, and I don't know why people buy them for their first gun, are the single shots. You want recoil??? Try one of those. Shoot a single shot with a 3" magnum load if you want to hurt for awhile. I had a 16 ga bolt action as my first gun, and WANTED more kick, so I went to a 12.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I have found that if my body absorbs the recoil vs shoulder alone, I have not had too much of a problem. Being right handed, I have left knee bent a little, right leg back in line with shoulder and right heel off the ground. It worked for me when I was shooting NSSA skeet and ATA trap.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #5

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

.22Hustler has it right. If the gun fits you you wont notice the recoil nearly as much. A synthetic stock is going to kick more than wood. My daughter was routinely pulling both triggers on a SXS 12 gauge with no recoil pad when she was 13 but she wouldn't touch my 20 gauge.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
.22Hustler has it right. If the gun fits you you wont notice the recoil nearly as much. A synthetic stock is going to kick more than wood. My daughter was routinely pulling both triggers on a SXS 12 gauge with no recoil pad when she was 13 but she wouldn't touch my 20 gauge.
Now THERE'S a tough kid,lol...She sounds like a girl most of us wish we had..Best of luck to her...

Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

A common error with shotguns- being leery of kick, shooter holds gun lightly- and gets the crap stomped out of himself. Tighter the fit to shoulder, less impact (more push than WHACK). Sitting position is painful- standing, body moves.

I dove hunt with SxSs and pump guns, go thru a box of shells a day, or 2-3 boxes on the trap range- and in the spirit of brotherhood, will withold comments about wussiness.

But in your heart, you know!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wheelspin:

I would suggest looking into the Blackhawk stocks with Knoxx recoil suppression. I have one on my Mossberg 590, and the recoil difference between the original solid stock and the Knoxx is night and day. Yes, its still going to kick with buckshot and slugs, but it is much more manageable.

I use my 590 as my HD firearm.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies, I was wondering if the loads we were shooting and the design of the stock were the cause of the recoil being stronger than I was expecting. I'll have the chance to fire a few off in the same shotgun next weekend so I'll try a different stance and shoulder placement, maybe some different shells too.

Thanks for the link to that Blackhawk stock too Falseharmonix, I was hoping there would be something like that plus being able to shorten the pull would be a big help for my wife. Who knows, maybe she may enjoy this one

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Old 05-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Your wife might find the same shotgun in 20 guage to be more easy to handle. I must agree with the perceived sentiment above that the stock must be properly seated in the shoulder (preferably with some "give" in the legs/stance) to reduce kick to a manageable level.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.