Shotgun for home and hunting - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun for home and hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Both barrels is terminology used to indicate the gun actually includes a barrel designed for use with shot shells and a dedicated slug barrel. The slug barrels are generally shorter and in my experience also tend to have rifle style sights on them while the shot barrels use only a bead or fiber optic front sight used to put you "mostly" on target. My understanding (and current practice) is that for HD I am using the slug barrel (manueverable) and loaded with bird shot. This means a wider spread which isn't ideal but I can swing the weapon much more readily than with my shot barrel that is 8" longer. You can not fire a slug through your shot barrel, at least, not more than once... You really need to spend some time googling for information and maybe watching some youtube videos that showcase a few shotguns to get an idea what considerations there are when purchasing a shotgun. I personally wouldn't buy an adjustable stocked model for fear of quicker wearing down of vital parts if used regularly... There are a ton of features and characteristics when you are shopping for a shottie and you will do yourself an enormous favor to take your time and really gather information before committing to one gun... (Though if I could only own one gun for the rest of my life it would be my Remington 870 with both barrels...)

Old 10-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #12

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
Both barrels is terminology used to indicate the gun actually includes a barrel designed for use with shot shells and a dedicated slug barrel. The slug barrels are generally shorter and in my experience also tend to have rifle style sights on them while the shot barrels use only a bead or fiber optic front sight used to put you "mostly" on target. My understanding (and current practice) is that for HD I am using the slug barrel (manueverable) and loaded with bird shot. This means a wider spread which isn't ideal but I can swing the weapon much more readily than with my shot barrel that is 8" longer. You can not fire a slug through your shot barrel, at least, not more than once... You really need to spend some time googling for information and maybe watching some youtube videos that showcase a few shotguns to get an idea what considerations there are when purchasing a shotgun. I personally wouldn't buy an adjustable stocked model for fear of quicker wearing down of vital parts if used regularly... There are a ton of features and characteristics when you are shopping for a shottie and you will do yourself an enormous favor to take your time and really gather information before committing to one gun... (Though if I could only own one gun for the rest of my life it would be my Remington 870 with both barrels...)
What is the length of a shot barrel vs. a slug barrel? Is that 18-20 and 28 respectively?

12FRETTER

Old 10-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5736 Times on 3361 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
What is the length of a shot barrel vs. a slug barrel? Is that 18-20 and 28 respectively?
That varies. The main difference is that a slug barrel is usually rifled to make the slug spin for accuracy, while a shot barrel is not rifled. Rifling is said to cause shot to spin into a donut pattern with very little shot in the center. Most slug barrels i've seen are in the 24" range, while shot barrels are available in lengths from 18.5" to 28" or even 30".

There are also different kinds of slugs, most of which would be less accurate without the rifling of a designated slug barrel, though some can be shot through a shot barrel, if it is an "open choke" or "cylinder bore" shot barrel (not restricted/choked down).

This is my limited understanding.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #14

Liked 1139 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

The barrels are really very simple to change out so dont let that be a factor its a few turns on the choke cap and off comes the barrel ,same for putting it on . I prefer a smooth bore barrel and use a rifled slug , the rifled slugs have more lead and more knockdown than a plastic jacketed slug , I do just fine out to 100 yards with a smooth bore barrel and rifled slugs with open sights . This barrel will also let you shoot shot shells or 00 buckshot without any issues , however if your going to be game hunting birds I highly suggest putting on the shot barrel , Some of these will come with removable chokes to help with wider or more narrow shot patterns

Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #15

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

As an extension of my thought, my Remington 870 Express Magnum came with a 20" smooth bored slug barrel and a 28" shot barrel with thread in chokes. I did not know the rule and smooth bore rifled slug.... rifled bored smooth slug... I have been shooting sabotted slugs from my smooth bore and still hitting a 4" target sticker at just over 90 yards fairly consistently... Might not be 1/2 MOA but it is certainly within 1 minute of deer!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2496 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Rifled slugs are designed to go through a choke but there will be a pressure increase. Still not recommended for tighter chokes but it will go through. This is from the days before screw in chokes and hunters had only 1 shotgun. A screw in choke can be changed to an open or cylinder bore. The rifling on the slug is not to spin the slug. It is to allow it to go safely through a choke by compressing the rifling. Never shoot a sabot slug through a choke. The rifled slug is heavily weight forward which gives it enough accuracy for hunting use. The newer rifled barrels are designed to be used with sabot slugs and rifled slugs dont work very well in them.
I dont hunt anymore so all I have is an SD 12 gauge shotgun. I am currently rethinking the 12 gauge. They are extremely loud in a closed area and could cause hearing damage. I am looking at a 410 for HD. They are less loud, lighter, easier to shoot, pretty nasty with a 3" load of 5-000 (.36") buckshot and less intimidating for the wife to use. A shotgun still has to be aimed. The shot pattern does not open up very much in 20' and it is pretty easy to miss. I have a flashlight and laser on mine.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-20-2011 at 03:05 AM.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 AM   #17

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Just wondering on how far you would say is the maximum effective range (to kill someone) with 12GA bird shot is?
I think more in terms of effectiveness in the small confines of my house. My home was built in the 1920's and has small rooms and too many doorways like a lot of older houses do. Even if I was cowering behind my wife leaning against the headboard of our bed while she held the shotgun pointed at the door it would be less than the 12 feet used in the box o' truth tests.
All of the "proof" he uses against birdshot is anecdotal, i.e. "I heard of a guy who...." type stories. I have personal experience with a cousin who was shot with bird shot, in the leg no less, and was airlifted to a trauma center. They were unsure if he would keep his leg. Amazingly he survived and thrives.

I have shot thousands of rounds of shotgun shells, sometimes just messing around to see what happens with a round at a particular distance. I am positive that if I hit an intruder with birdshot from the maximum distance possible in my house that he will be adversely affected. Possibly fatally, if the attack continues I have several more ready to go downrange in a very short time.

I don't give any credance to comparing sheetrock to soft tissue. No comparison at all. That kind of test is only marginal for judging penetration of walls in that it does not take into consideration furnishings or other obstructions that the shot may have to pass through. You couldn't realistically shoot through three or four walls (6 or 8 thicknesses of sheetrock) without a chair, bookcase, wall decoration, etc. being involved.

Michael Bane featured the use of the .380 pocket pistols on "The Best Defense" tv show once. I don't remember the exact words, but in essence it was that a faceful of those little bullets would ruin anybody's day. The same I am sure is true with birdshot moving at 1200fps.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:14 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1379 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
What is meant by "both barrels"?
A long barrel & a short barrel, takes about 1&1/2 min. to change barrel on one of those.

When all else fails.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is my suggestion, a Mossberg 500 with combination barrels. One 28" barrel for hunting and an 18.5" for defense. This is the Mossberg I had for years except mine had a synthetic stock & forearm. Big 5 and other sporting goods outlets sell them for around $300. It's a great deal and super practical for not a lot of money.

Go here: http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3 and scroll through and you'll find it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 10-20-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My suggestion would be a Winchester 1300 Turkey. It's a 22" barrel so it's shorting for HD purposes but long enough to hunt with. I've taken, deer, dove and turkey with mine. It's a fast cycling, reliable as a rock pump gun.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer