Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun for home and hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Shotgun for home and hunting

OK, my next gun for preps is a 12ga. I was thinking along the lines of THIS.

Not thrilled with spending all that, but at the same time, I want all those features. I know I can get a stripped down version then upgrade later, but let's face it, I never will. I'd rather get what I want now, right?

Suggestions or comments on the gun?

Next is ammo. I know nothing of shotguns or ammo. What is good ammo for home defense? I'm not a hunter, but will be learning soon, I hope. What ammo for hunting? Deer? Small Game?

Are there different barrels for different shells or slugs? What is choking? I think it means tightening the spray pattern of the shot, right? Does every gun have that ability? Should I look for that in a gun?

Sorry to throw all those questions at once, but when you go to the doctors, you get it all out so you don't have to come back.

Thanks in advance to all.

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Here are very short answers to your questions, there is just so much information on this subject and variations it would take awhile to explain them in detail. That's a very nice 12GA for Home Defense, but you are going to have to check your state laws for hunting with that since it is a 7+1. Although I don't Hunt much anymore when I did you were only allowed to have 3 or 4 in the magazine (I can't remember what the law was) and one in the pipe. Although I did take the plug out of my 12GA if a game wardon caught me I would get fined. This was in NC a few years back. For home defense ammo I usually alternate the shell selection in the magazine with bird and buck shot, for the simple reason that bird shot is easier to take out of dry wall. On the hunting ammo part of your question that is really going to depend on the specific firearm you are using, and the game your hunting. I use slugs for deer and bird shot for Dove, some hunters like to use buck shot for deer and then there is different weights to consider etc. Also on the choke side of the house you are correct as chokes control your pattern diameters at different yards. Some shotguns have fixed chokes that cannot be changed out except by a gunsmith. So if you plan on shooting different typed of game, skeet, targets, etc you are going to want to ensure you are able to change your choke if needed. You may also want to consider some shotguns that have a barrel exchange. Personally I have one for home defense and one for hunting. There is a lot of info on shotguns that just can't be explained in a thread like this. IMO I would google things like "shotgun basics", "shotgun chokes", to get more detailed info.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
OK, my next gun for preps is a 12ga. I was thinking along the lines of THIS.
That is a cool shotgun! I bought a Mossberg 500 pump in 12 guage back in 1996 or so; it was well-used and not exactly the freshest face at the dance, but it has been working fine for occaisional hunting and more occaisional target practice (thrown targets) since then. It was the basic wood furnitured model that holds about 5 shells in the tube. It had a fixed choke barrel (not a removable choke tube) that is perfect for doves, "modified choke". Last year or two at a gunshow, i found a 18.5" open choke (less restricted/tight) barrel for about $75 and some plastic furniture that i like for about $45 and redressed the old gun a bit. I also picked up a "side saddle" shell holder to hold an extra half-dozen shells and some buckshot for defense.

Now i have a firearm than can be setup for dove hunting or set up for HD with the shorter barrel. I leave the plastic furniture on; the plastic buttstock has a full stock with a pistol grip, for great control.

There are buckshot shells available with "reduced recoil", but i have yet to try them.

Hunting-wise, in MS you don't have to worry about magazine capacity on the shotty unless you are hunting migratory birds, i bleve.

AlsTechnologies Hornets Nest Projectile 5Rd Box - NL124 This place has some "exotic" shotgun ammo, but i don't know how safe/useful it is.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #4

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts

FWIW, I wouldn't drop 400+ on a mossberg 500....

I paid $400 for my benelli supernova tactical, which has all those features, plus can handle 3.5" shells.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

OK, you asked and I am glad to give you my oppinion. The shotgun you have picked out will do nicely for self defense. I am partial to the shorter barrels, though. For movement in spaces like halls, doorways, etc. the 20" barrel won't be as nimble as an 18 or 18.5". Admittedly you can shorten the gun with the stock, and that may be enough to negate the different length overall. A pump gun is a good choice in that it is simple and becomes second nature with practice. Looks like it has ghost ring sights, that can give you precision with slugs, good choice. The 7+1 is more than I have with my sd shotgun and would be appreciated if I had that. Lots of aftermarket for this particular model if you want to change something. I would recommend a sidesaddle or similar to haul extra ammo.

Which brings us to ammo. At close range bird shot can be effective. It can also NOT be effective. Various rounds are sold as self or home defense. They typically have more energy, larger projectiles, and are loaded with wads that will help to control the pattern. Do not waste any money on the surplus US buckshot, it won't pattern well. Same goes for Wolf, neither are well suited for accuracy. You want a tight shot pattern that is consistent with bird shot or buck. It will spread, but it needs to do so uniformly and repeatedly so you can be sure of where your lead is going to end up when you squeeze the trigger.

Slugs are a good choice for a more offensive type round. You can reach out and touch the target at over 100 yards reliably with good cartridges. The important thing is to pattern the shotgun at 5, 10, and 20 yards with your shot shells so you are familiar with the point of impact. I would shoot at a target with slugs at 40, 60, and 100 yards. Actual impact can possibly be a little high at 100 from a zero shot at 40 yards.
My ammo selection:
Game load #8 bird shot first round
Pheasant load #4 bird shot second round
Multi-defense Centurion for the rest of the magazine
Side Saddle has 00 buck and 1oz. slugs for reloads
I really like the Centurion multi defense, it has been a reliable performer at the range. It is affordable, to boot.
Winchester ranger 00 buck and slugs have been good, even the lo recoil stuff.
Take a defensive shotgun class, it will help you immensely. I took one and learned a lot that I can put to use at home.
Federal buck and slugs, Brenneke slugs, Hornady TAP slugs, have all been good for me.

Hopes this helps you.
Federal

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
OK, you asked and I am glad to give you my oppinion. The shotgun you have picked out will do nicely for self defense. I am partial to the shorter barrels, though. For movement in spaces like halls, doorways, etc. the 20" barrel won't be as nimble as an 18 or 18.5". Admittedly you can shorten the gun with the stock, and that may be enough to negate the different length overall. A pump gun is a good choice in that it is simple and becomes second nature with practice. Looks like it has ghost ring sights, that can give you precision with slugs, good choice. The 7+1 is more than I have with my sd shotgun and would be appreciated if I had that. Lots of aftermarket for this particular model if you want to change something. I would recommend a sidesaddle or similar to haul extra ammo.

Which brings us to ammo. At close range bird shot can be effective. It can also NOT be effective. Various rounds are sold as self or home defense. They typically have more energy, larger projectiles, and are loaded with wads that will help to control the pattern. Do not waste any money on the surplus US buckshot, it won't pattern well. Same goes for Wolf, neither are well suited for accuracy. You want a tight shot pattern that is consistent with bird shot or buck. It will spread, but it needs to do so uniformly and repeatedly so you can be sure of where your lead is going to end up when you squeeze the trigger.

Slugs are a good choice for a more offensive type round. You can reach out and touch the target at over 100 yards reliably with good cartridges. The important thing is to pattern the shotgun at 5, 10, and 20 yards with your shot shells so you are familiar with the point of impact. I would shoot at a target with slugs at 40, 60, and 100 yards. Actual impact can possibly be a little high at 100 from a zero shot at 40 yards.
My ammo selection:
Game load #8 bird shot first round
Pheasant load #4 bird shot second round
Multi-defense Centurion for the rest of the magazine
Side Saddle has 00 buck and 1oz. slugs for reloads
I really like the Centurion multi defense, it has been a reliable performer at the range. It is affordable, to boot.
Winchester ranger 00 buck and slugs have been good, even the lo recoil stuff.
Take a defensive shotgun class, it will help you immensely. I took one and learned a lot that I can put to use at home.
Federal buck and slugs, Brenneke slugs, Hornady TAP slugs, have all been good for me.

Hopes this helps you.
Federal

Just wondering on how far you would say is the maximum effective range (to kill someone) with 12GA bird shot is?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #7

Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Remington 870 w/ both barrels is pretty hard to beat with what your asking for , on sale at Dicks sporting good right now for $399 w/ both barrels
They also have the Mossberg 500 both barrels for $299.
Personally I would rather spend the extra $100 on the Remington but thats just me, I have shot both of them

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-19-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #8

Found this on another forum. The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

Looks like it's time to go home and change out some shells!

Member:

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #9

Liked 112 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I would say 2 good choices are you Mossberg 500 or Remington 870,now while the Mossberg is probably a little better home gun,the Remington is really the better hunting gun with it's parkerized finish to protect from weather and loading latch to keep debris out of the chamber,the Remington is really meant to be in the woods.You really don't need anything more than an unchoked barrel for HD buckshot and up to 100 yards on deer with rifled slugs,you could go with the improved fixed cyl also and get away with shooting rifled slugs great too.I also reccommend rifle sights on your barrel.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #10

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Remington 870 w/ both barrels is pretty hard to beat with what your asking for , on sale at Dicks sporting good right now for $399 w/ both barrels
They also have the Mossberg 500 both barrels for $299.
Personally I would rather spend the extra $100 on the Remington but thats just me, I have shot both of them
What is meant by "both barrels"?

12FRETTER