shotgun hoggin - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun hoggin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterr View Post
C3shooter has it exactly right. we would shoot domestic hogs exactly in the spot described and they would drop in their tracks, however, they were stunned, definately not dead. You had to instantly neck stick them so they would bleed out. I don't think hunting feral hogs with a shotgun is a good idea. All hogs are tough, especially large ferals, some of which are crossed with Russian Boars. I suggest a rifle in the .30 cal range. Check out an article on page 12 of Outdoor Life. A hunter shot a hog with an .06 and was then charged by the herd, he emptied his rifle then his .357 pistol before they turned back. Good luck with your hog hunting.
Why would he/she shoot a rifle semi automatic,lever or bolt action/semi bolt action into a pack of wild hogs? I never seen a rifle that caliber with more than a 10 round capacity. Thats not very smart, thats very dumb.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leathermarshmallow View Post
I have shot many hogs on the farm with a .22lr when we butcher in the fall. Just as described in other posts. I also have seen many deer shot in the head with .22mag and go down like they were poll-axed.

If I were hunting feral hogs, I certainly wouldn't use a shotgun unless it were loaded with a slug. Buckshot cannot be aimed precisely. Do the animal a favor and make it a quick clean kill. Or use a high powered rifle. With a well placed shot, I believe just about any caliber of a high powered rifle will dispatch a hog quickly.
I agree,I have also shot plenty of wild hogs ranging up to some good sizes with a 22lr and 22 magnum. Knocked em dead most of the time due to cause I shot them in the neck and head. Some it took a few more shots but I have never once have been charged at by one or any.To the OP , i certainly would not use a shotgun at all for hog hunting,arm your self with a .22 or high powered caliber rifle for best results.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #33

thats a sick and sad video. Its one thing to go out and shoot a few hogs but thats uncalled for. I would of laughed if that guy fell out of that helicopter.

Last edited by bullethole; 06-05-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethole View Post
thats a sick and sad video. Its one thing to go out and shoot a few hogs but thats uncalled for. I would of laughed if that guy fell out of that helicopter.
Hmmm...sorry your offended. They destroy Millions of dollars worth farm production every year, not only in Australia, but here in the USA also. In fact your state has no problem with chopper hunting. There are piles of chopper hunting for hogs in TX on youtube. They are no different than any other common vermin. That vid was not a sporting vid, but a gov sponsered depredation hunt. Trying to thin them out.

Jimmy

Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #35

I understand that about the crops but Im mainly a target shooter and beer can plinker. My parents do have a 313 acre ranch in atascosa county texas but we just mainly plant coastal grass for the cows.I see them rooting up the ground quite often but not till were it pisses us off. I think that song made it worse for me. The individual that was shooting as well as others who are commiting that horrible act of madness and their so called fun are not concerned with a quick fast death from what I see. A shotgun off of a chopper is not going to kill the animal that quickly maybe one in 3 hogs. Idk about you but thats my opinion. Have a nice day!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #36

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Well, do you think they should be using an apache with a 25mm chain gun or what? I guarantee you that every one of those hogs were dead within minutes once the chopper moved on to another area. Wild hogs are cannibals and will kill and eat wounded hogs in a flash. So will wild dogs and coyotes.

Wild hogs, coyotes and wild dogs are destructive and causes millions of dollars a year in crop damage and dead live stock. Prairie dogs are just as bad burrowing thousands of holes just big enough for a horse or cow to break its leg in.

I have a feeling that if your folks had raised a food crop while you were growing up and had those hogs destroying a 1/3 of them for a few seasons you'd have a lot less care about whether they were killed humanely or not as long as they were killed.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #37

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethole View Post
Why would he/she shoot a rifle semi automatic,lever or bolt action/semi bolt action into a pack of wild hogs? I never seen a rifle that caliber with more than a 10 round capacity. Thats not very smart, thats very dumb.
Most .308 battle rifles I ever saw have a 20 round magazine. The ones that make me question their sanity are the folks who hunt them with a bow.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #38

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
Well, do you think they should be using an apache with a 25mm chain gun or what?
Now that would be fun!!!

Jimmy

Old 07-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #39
RMc

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default In pest control slow death is not a consideration.

Regarding helicopter "pest control", what is not shown is the number of hogs wounded that got back up only to die a day or so later. That can only be compared the methods used to deal with a rat infestation.

That is also no different than the Alabama Wildlife Management Area rules that restrict hog hunting to #4 Birdshot during the small game season.