shotgun hoggin - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun hoggin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
When my friend and I go hoggin', I am the one riding Shotgun. I act as the wing man.
I am the ultimate wingman. I can hold my own with the hogs and the honeys.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #22

Location: Big Pool, Washington Co,Peoples Republic of Maryland
Default hogs with a shotgun

C3shooter has it exactly right. we would shoot domestic hogs exactly in the spot described and they would drop in their tracks, however, they were stunned, definately not dead. You had to instantly neck stick them so they would bleed out. I don't think hunting feral hogs with a shotgun is a good idea. All hogs are tough, especially large ferals, some of which are crossed with Russian Boars. I suggest a rifle in the .30 cal range. Check out an article on page 12 of Outdoor Life. A hunter shot a hog with an .06 and was then charged by the herd, he emptied his rifle then his .357 pistol before they turned back. Good luck with your hog hunting.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterr View Post
C3shooter has it exactly right. we would shoot domestic hogs exactly in the spot described and they would drop in their tracks, however, they were stunned, definately not dead. You had to instantly neck stick them so they would bleed out. I don't think hunting feral hogs with a shotgun is a good idea. All hogs are tough, especially large ferals, some of which are crossed with Russian Boars. I suggest a rifle in the .30 cal range. Check out an article on page 12 of Outdoor Life. A hunter shot a hog with an .06 and was then charged by the herd, he emptied his rifle then his .357 pistol before they turned back. Good luck with your hog hunting.
OK, so next time its slugs or my .308

Old 03-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #24

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I belong to another forum and there's a lot of people that brag about using a .22 mag. I wouldn't dream of it. I watched a buddy shoot one with a 30-30 once. He made a bad shot and it charged him. He shot it five more times before it fell dead almost at his feet. Maybe they have smaller hogs than we did back home. I dunno. I just value my hide more than that.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have shot many hogs on the farm with a .22lr when we butcher in the fall. Just as described in other posts. I also have seen many deer shot in the head with .22mag and go down like they were poll-axed.

If I were hunting feral hogs, I certainly wouldn't use a shotgun unless it were loaded with a slug. Buckshot cannot be aimed precisely. Do the animal a favor and make it a quick clean kill. Or use a high powered rifle. With a well placed shot, I believe just about any caliber of a high powered rifle will dispatch a hog quickly.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Shotguns and hog hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhog View Post
Yes, I wanted to harvest the hog for my freezer. I made a head shot. And the guy I was hunting with said #4 would kill a hog at 20 yrds. I asked him about 00 buck that I had on hand and he said that it didn't hold enough (15) pellets. He was using 00 #4 pellets (41).
Perhaps there is a little confusion in this conversation. There are basically two sizes of shotshells with the number 4 in them. There is number 4 buck which is the smallest of the buckshot loads with a pellet diameter of approximately .23 inches and there is number 4 shot which has pellets with a diameter of about .13 inches.

The number 4 buck is really not adequate for taking a hog humanely. It could be used on smaller game like maybe coyote or fox - not something that is virtually armor plated like a hog. For what it is worth, I would recommend at least 00 buck and you really should look at 000 or slugs for hogs.

Number 4 shot is definitely at it's best on turkey sized game.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Here is how they do it Down Under....12 ga with 00 buck is more than enough. Hawg hunting is about as fun as it gets!

Jimmy

Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hog hunting from a helicopter damn that looks fun, wish I could do that.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 06-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Do they actually PAY those guys to shoot hogs from a chopper? Where does one apply?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #30

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Don't mess with iffy loads. My two loads are Federal 00 3" Flitecontrol & Brenneke Black Magic Magnums.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM