Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun hoggin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default shotgun hoggin

OK guys, here's the deal. Went out hoggin last night and never hunted hogs with a shotgun. So I'm sitting in a brush blind 25 yrds from the feeder, hog comes out and its at 20 yrds. Weapon is a Benelli 12 ga. super nova tactical turkey loaded with 3in. mag #4 turkey load. Sights are a Bass Pro 24mm shotgun sight also have a stock Benelli X turkey choke. Fired and either I missed or the the load wasn't heavy enough? 20 yrds is kinda hard to miss. What did I do wrong?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

#4 is way too light for hogs--probably want a minimum of 00 Buck IMHO

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
#4 is way too light for hogs--probably want a minimum of 00 Buck IMHO
I was thinking that same thing but some freinds said that #4 would be OK at that short range. Guess they were wrong!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Was your intent to utilize the meat? Because #4 is awfully "light" when compared to a boar's hide. I am just wondering why the light load?

I would recommend stepping up or going with a slug.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Did you look for any blood on the ground?

You'd be better off with a slug than with any kind of shot.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

#4 buck would be too light. #4 shot is WAY too light. 00 buck or slugs is all I would consider.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Was your intent to utilize the meat? Because #4 is awfully "light" when compared to a boar's hide. I am just wondering why the light load?

I would recommend stepping up or going with a slug.
Yes, I wanted to harvest the hog for my freezer. I made a head shot. And the guy I was hunting with said #4 would kill a hog at 20 yrds. I asked him about 00 buck that I had on hand and he said that it didn't hold enough (15) pellets. He was using 00 #4 pellets (41).

Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Several years back, my FIL raised a couple hogs. Cousin of my FIL comes over to help with the butchering. Swears that a .22 will kill a pig if you hit him right. The sow that he tried to kill with a Ruger 10/22 at a couple of yards took 9 rounds in the head and was still walking around. The were not hollow points. My FIL got pissed and had me go get the .223 to finish the job.

A pigs skull is thick. Save the #4 for ducks and turkey. Bring #00 or better yet a good slug next time. Place the shot well and you won't spoil any meat.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

To the OP- as others have said- birdshot is for birds. Buckshot for big critters. Those critters have TUSKS that can cut a Prius into bit sized chunks. Try double ought (that means 00) buckshot.

Re: Using a 22 when slaughtering hogs- there is a spot- about the size of a quarter. When facing a pig directly, draw line from left ear to right eye, and right ear to left eye. Where they cross is the spot. HOWEVER- this is in slaughtering a domestic pig- not a feral razorback- and I will NOT guarantee that it will kill them. They will drop like you turned a switch off- and you IMMEDIATELY stick them (sever the carotid) In packing houses, they use a "captive bolt stunner" that does the same thing- knocks the animal out. We simply put a pan of water down, when pig is drinking, cap him from 10 feet. Instant collapse.

As a country boy, learned from my Dad at hog killing time- and used to shoot the pigs for my Grandad.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 AM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Re: Using a 22 when slaughtering hogs- there is a spot- about the size of a quarter. When facing a pig directly, draw line from left ear to right eye, and right ear to left eye. Where they cross is the spot. HOWEVER- this is in slaughtering a domestic pig- not a feral razorback- and I will NOT guarantee that it will kill them. They will drop like you turned a switch off- and you IMMEDIATELY stick them (sever the carotid) In packing houses, they use a "captive bolt stunner" that does the same thing- knocks the animal out. We simply put a pan of water down, when pig is drinking, cap him from 10 feet. Instant collapse.

As a country boy, learned from my Dad at hog killing time- and used to shoot the pigs for my Grandad.
We've always done the same thing.. The trusty .22 will also drop a good sized steer with c3's advised shot placement, but ONLY WHEN HIS HEAD IS DOWN. When their head is up the rake of the skull will deflect the bullet straight up. The bullet needs to enter the skull perendicular to the bone.