Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   shotgun hoggin (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-hoggin-39921/)

jhog 03-17-2011 04:28 PM

shotgun hoggin
 
OK guys, here's the deal. Went out hoggin last night and never hunted hogs with a shotgun. So I'm sitting in a brush blind 25 yrds from the feeder, hog comes out and its at 20 yrds. Weapon is a Benelli 12 ga. super nova tactical turkey loaded with 3in. mag #4 turkey load. Sights are a Bass Pro 24mm shotgun sight also have a stock Benelli X turkey choke. Fired and either I missed or the the load wasn't heavy enough? 20 yrds is kinda hard to miss. What did I do wrong?

Missileman 03-17-2011 06:26 PM

#4 is way too light for hogs--probably want a minimum of 00 Buck IMHO

jhog 03-17-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missileman (Post 466817)
#4 is way too light for hogs--probably want a minimum of 00 Buck IMHO

I was thinking that same thing but some freinds said that #4 would be OK at that short range. Guess they were wrong!

Dillinger 03-17-2011 06:55 PM

Was your intent to utilize the meat? Because #4 is awfully "light" when compared to a boar's hide. I am just wondering why the light load?

I would recommend stepping up or going with a slug.

lonyaeger 03-17-2011 07:42 PM

Did you look for any blood on the ground?

You'd be better off with a slug than with any kind of shot.

robocop10mm 03-17-2011 07:55 PM

#4 buck would be too light. #4 shot is WAY too light. 00 buck or slugs is all I would consider.

jhog 03-18-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 466836)
Was your intent to utilize the meat? Because #4 is awfully "light" when compared to a boar's hide. I am just wondering why the light load?

I would recommend stepping up or going with a slug.

Yes, I wanted to harvest the hog for my freezer. I made a head shot. And the guy I was hunting with said #4 would kill a hog at 20 yrds. I asked him about 00 buck that I had on hand and he said that it didn't hold enough (15) pellets. He was using 00 #4 pellets (41).

aandabooks 03-18-2011 02:27 AM

Several years back, my FIL raised a couple hogs. Cousin of my FIL comes over to help with the butchering. Swears that a .22 will kill a pig if you hit him right. The sow that he tried to kill with a Ruger 10/22 at a couple of yards took 9 rounds in the head and was still walking around. The were not hollow points. My FIL got pissed and had me go get the .223 to finish the job.

A pigs skull is thick. Save the #4 for ducks and turkey. Bring #00 or better yet a good slug next time. Place the shot well and you won't spoil any meat.

c3shooter 03-18-2011 03:37 AM

To the OP- as others have said- birdshot is for birds. Buckshot for big critters. Those critters have TUSKS that can cut a Prius into bit sized chunks. Try double ought (that means 00) buckshot.

Re: Using a 22 when slaughtering hogs- there is a spot- about the size of a quarter. When facing a pig directly, draw line from left ear to right eye, and right ear to left eye. Where they cross is the spot. HOWEVER- this is in slaughtering a domestic pig- not a feral razorback- and I will NOT guarantee that it will kill them. They will drop like you turned a switch off- and you IMMEDIATELY stick them (sever the carotid) In packing houses, they use a "captive bolt stunner" that does the same thing- knocks the animal out. We simply put a pan of water down, when pig is drinking, cap him from 10 feet. Instant collapse.

As a country boy, learned from my Dad at hog killing time- and used to shoot the pigs for my Grandad.

AusLach 03-18-2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 467251)
Re: Using a 22 when slaughtering hogs- there is a spot- about the size of a quarter. When facing a pig directly, draw line from left ear to right eye, and right ear to left eye. Where they cross is the spot. HOWEVER- this is in slaughtering a domestic pig- not a feral razorback- and I will NOT guarantee that it will kill them. They will drop like you turned a switch off- and you IMMEDIATELY stick them (sever the carotid) In packing houses, they use a "captive bolt stunner" that does the same thing- knocks the animal out. We simply put a pan of water down, when pig is drinking, cap him from 10 feet. Instant collapse.

As a country boy, learned from my Dad at hog killing time- and used to shoot the pigs for my Grandad.

We've always done the same thing.. The trusty .22 will also drop a good sized steer with c3's advised shot placement, but ONLY WHEN HIS HEAD IS DOWN. When their head is up the rake of the skull will deflect the bullet straight up. The bullet needs to enter the skull perendicular to the bone.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.