shotgun for hiking and camping? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun for hiking and camping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Jsut hiking w/a longarm might look a little odd. Still, love "old faithful." Do get a can of bearspray and a decent knife instead and leave the gun accessible in camp.
not if you pack it in a backpack

even a holstered sidearm wouldn't look as bad as totin a shotgun

if i saw it............i would think............smart hikers

Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
well things have a way of changing, and in my case they change alot. i love to hike and camp on private property near my home here in kentucky. i thought i would have a handgun to take with me, i had bought a stoeger cougar 9mm. but some things came up i had to sell the gun, now it will be next year before i will have a chance to have enough for another handgun. i do however have h&r pardner pump protector with 18.5 inch barrel, it weighs however 7lbs. would the shotgun be a good choice fo hiking and camping? at one time i thought i might have to use it for this purpose but i was able to get the handgun now i'm back to the shotgun. what do ya'll think about carrying a shotgun for camping and hiking? also i put the regular stock back on it, which gives me better accuracy. thanks
I always carry a shotgun as a camp gun unless the sight of it would cause unnecessary panic (e.g. a campground with other families). I also carry a .44 mag revolver as a backup if I'm doing something that makes having a shotgun really inconvenient...like fishing. I live in big game country (Alaska) and the danger comes from bears and moose. I've had coyotes come into camp too. The smallest predator that I need to consider would be something like a wolverine or badger. We don't have snakes up here. We have quite a few carnivorous mammals to consider so I prefer to carry large caliber weapons. I know a couple of experienced outdoors men who carry .41 mag revolvers in the bush too. I haven't met anyone around here carrying a 9mm in the bush.

If you get a comfortable sling and configure your shotgun to be as compact and light as possible, it's not too uncomfortable, IMO. Besides, the weight helps reduce the felt recoil.

I'm talking about a shotgun as a camp gun. Not long range backpacking.

BTW, What do you anticipate meeting on the trail that you'd need a 9mm for?
That's seems like a pretty small, under-powered round for wild animals, IMO. 9mm is an antipersonnel caliber though I suppose you could kill a badger, wolverine, or beaver with it.

FWIW, I've never hiked the Kentucky bush so I am only guessing since I don't know your real needs out there.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by totallyfrozen; 07-22-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Jsut hiking w/a longarm might look a little odd. Still, love "old faithful." Do get a can of bearspray and a decent knife instead and leave the gun accessible in camp.
I suppose that depends on where you live/hike. Up here, no one looks twice at a hiker with a shotgun (or any other gun for that matter).

I once walked into a convenience store here with a .44 mag revolver in open carry in a hip holster and the lady behind the counter asked me where I was fishing (because we commonly carry large caliber handguns for bear protection while fishing). I suppose some places people might think it's odd to see a gun. I think that's sad. It's just more evidence to me that our modern society has lost sight of the value of our Constitution and what American heritage is. This country has ALWAYS had firearms as part of it's culture. Personal firearm ownership is part of American heritage. I'm proud that our country still allows it.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #14

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrozen View Post
I always carry a shotgun as a camp gun unless the sight of it would cause unnecessary panic (e.g. a campground with other families)...
I won't contradict you as, yes, it depends on where one hikes and camps (hence my word "might") and you've done a good job of doing it yourself. Kentucky ain't Alaska like the Appalachian ain't the Resurrection Pass Trail.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 07-22-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

would a soft case with shoulder strap be as good or better than a scabbard? thanks

Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
I won't contradict you as, yes, it depends on where one hikes and camps (hence my word "might") and you've done a good job of doing it yourself. Kentucky ain't Alaska like the Appalachian ain't the Resurrection Pass Trail.
I don't quite follow what you said here.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5703 Times on 3224 Posts
Likes Given: 5123

I don't camp in campgrounds, so I don't have to worry about upsetting other families. (If someone camps near me, they're usually carryng also.

For hiking the back country, I like to carry my Benelli M-2 on a sling.

Winston Churchill