shotgun help needed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default shotgun help needed

Hi, I am in a wheelchair and want to try to shoot shotgun at our local club. They don't have guns to try, so I am looking for a recommendation. Possibly 20 gauge, youth model? Are there any made for women? Any help appreciated. Cheryl

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

you could check out mossberg model 500's bantam models. most should be under 300 after taxes depending on your location. what would be the main purpose of the shotgun, skeet, hunting or just plain shootin the time away?

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

If you aren't adverse to a single shot, the New England Firearms 20 ga youth model can be gotten for 'bout $200 or less.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryld View Post
Hi, I am in a wheelchair and want to try to shoot shotgun at our local club. They don't have guns to try, so I am looking for a recommendation. Possibly 20 gauge, youth model? Are there any made for women? Any help appreciated. Cheryl
wheelchair... so mobility is an issue, but the upper half of the body is fine, right? If so, you can use a pump, which is one of the cheaper ways to go. There are a few youth model 20 gauge pumps, if I'm not mistaken. As mentioned above, a single shot or over/under may be an option as well.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Browning makes a nice 20 ga.youth-model pump that we use on hunter safety field days. This firearm is bottom eject so it work well right or left handed. Although, normally an auto loading shotgun will give you less felt recoil.

Don't ever be afraid to ask a shooter at the range if you might try their firearm out. All they can do is say no but chances are they will be very obliging. Gun owners are like that. Shoot Straight and Be Safe, HJ

Old 02-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #6

Default Let me help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
wheelchair... so mobility is an issue, but the upper half of the body is fine, right? If so, you can use a pump, which is one of the cheaper ways to go. There are a few youth model 20 gauge pumps, if I'm not mistaken. As mentioned above, a single shot or over/under may be an option as well.
I have done alot of training and teaching in the way of special and youth shooters. It would be my pleasure to help you with a choice of shotgun to shoot. e-mail me at mikem@tls.net to discuss in length of your strengths and concerns to help you proceed into this sport. Remember fit and consistancy is the answer for shooting well.

Thanks Mike

Last edited by rugermike; 02-09-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermike View Post
I have done alot of training and teaching in the way of special and youth shooters. It would be my pleasure to help you with a choice of shotgun to shoot. e-mail me at mikem@tls.net to discuss in length of your strengths and concerns to help you proceed into this sport. Remember fit and consistancy is the answer for shooting well.

Thanks Mike
If Mike has actually taught special needs shooters, it sounds like you should take his advice and email him on this! I'm sure he will hook you up. Have fun shooting!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Remington 870 or 1100 in 20 gauge with youth stock would be my choices off the top of my head.

Thanks to RugerMike for volunteering his expertise. RugerMike, if you can would you post a few of the broad strokes that might be considered when choosing a youth/special challenge gun. If the process doesn't lend itself to general information I understand completely.

Cheryl, welcome to the community. Have fun.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #9

I have emailed Mike for his help. I welcome others suggestions also. Thanks so much for the replies so far. Cheryl

Old 02-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #10

Default No e-mail as of yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryld View Post
I have emailed Mike for his help. I welcome others suggestions also. Thanks so much for the replies so far. Cheryl
Cheryl,

I'm sorry I have not received your e-mail please check the address again?

mikem@tls.net