Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   shotgun help needed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-help-needed-10703/)

cheryld 02-08-2009 07:21 PM

shotgun help needed
 
Hi, I am in a wheelchair and want to try to shoot shotgun at our local club. They don't have guns to try, so I am looking for a recommendation. Possibly 20 gauge, youth model? Are there any made for women? Any help appreciated. Cheryl

sgtdeath66 02-08-2009 09:07 PM

you could check out mossberg model 500's bantam models. most should be under 300 after taxes depending on your location. what would be the main purpose of the shotgun, skeet, hunting or just plain shootin the time away?

skullcrusher 02-08-2009 09:16 PM

If you aren't adverse to a single shot, the New England Firearms 20 ga youth model can be gotten for 'bout $200 or less. :D

janikphoto 02-09-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheryld (Post 69343)
Hi, I am in a wheelchair and want to try to shoot shotgun at our local club. They don't have guns to try, so I am looking for a recommendation. Possibly 20 gauge, youth model? Are there any made for women? Any help appreciated. Cheryl

wheelchair... so mobility is an issue, but the upper half of the body is fine, right? If so, you can use a pump, which is one of the cheaper ways to go. There are a few youth model 20 gauge pumps, if I'm not mistaken. As mentioned above, a single shot or over/under may be an option as well.

hunter Joe 02-09-2009 03:32 PM

Browning makes a nice 20 ga.youth-model pump that we use on hunter safety field days. This firearm is bottom eject so it work well right or left handed. Although, normally an auto loading shotgun will give you less felt recoil.

Don't ever be afraid to ask a shooter at the range if you might try their firearm out. All they can do is say no but chances are they will be very obliging. Gun owners are like that. Shoot Straight and Be Safe, HJ

rugermike 02-09-2009 05:48 PM

Let me help?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by janikphoto (Post 69566)
wheelchair... so mobility is an issue, but the upper half of the body is fine, right? If so, you can use a pump, which is one of the cheaper ways to go. There are a few youth model 20 gauge pumps, if I'm not mistaken. As mentioned above, a single shot or over/under may be an option as well.

I have done alot of training and teaching in the way of special and youth shooters. It would be my pleasure to help you with a choice of shotgun to shoot. e-mail me at mikem@tls.net to discuss in length of your strengths and concerns to help you proceed into this sport. Remember fit and consistancy is the answer for shooting well.

Thanks Mike

janikphoto 02-10-2009 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugermike (Post 69635)
I have done alot of training and teaching in the way of special and youth shooters. It would be my pleasure to help you with a choice of shotgun to shoot. e-mail me at mikem@tls.net to discuss in length of your strengths and concerns to help you proceed into this sport. Remember fit and consistancy is the answer for shooting well.

Thanks Mike

If Mike has actually taught special needs shooters, it sounds like you should take his advice and email him on this! I'm sure he will hook you up. Have fun shooting!!!

Bighead 02-10-2009 10:45 AM

The Remington 870 or 1100 in 20 gauge with youth stock would be my choices off the top of my head.

Thanks to RugerMike for volunteering his expertise. RugerMike, if you can would you post a few of the broad strokes that might be considered when choosing a youth/special challenge gun. If the process doesn't lend itself to general information I understand completely.

Cheryl, welcome to the community. Have fun.

cheryld 02-10-2009 05:46 PM

I have emailed Mike for his help. I welcome others suggestions also. Thanks so much for the replies so far. Cheryl

rugermike 02-11-2009 06:11 PM

No e-mail as of yet?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheryld (Post 69938)
I have emailed Mike for his help. I welcome others suggestions also. Thanks so much for the replies so far. Cheryl

Cheryl,

I'm sorry I have not received your e-mail please check the address again?

mikem@tls.net


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:22 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.