Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 155 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Shotgun help

I am new to shotguns and would like to know some things. I normally just shoot rifle and handguns, I rarely shoot my dads savage fox 12ga. and would like to know the difference between the different types of shotgun ammo. I am also considering buying a mossberg 500 for home defense and to start skeet shooting. I looked at the package they have that comes with an 18" barrel and 28" barrel, can you shoot slugs out of these barrels, such as Hornady TAP? Also what are some home defense round suggestions?

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/mossberg/500-combo-shotgun-12-ga-28in-mc-18in-cb-black/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5634 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

The "choke" determines if shooting slugs will be damaging or dangerous. The shorter HD barrels are often "cylinder bore" or unchoked and would be fine for slugs (have shot many from mine). The longer barrels for bird hunting or trap are not really suitable for slugs. There are barrels with rifling to make your slug shooting more accurate; they usually have rifle type sights instead of bead sights (deer hunting in restricted states/shotgun only areas).

My mossberg 500 is so old that the long barrel is made in "modified choke" size. The newer shotguns usually have removable chokes that screw in the end of the barrel. The choke tightens up the pattern of shot loads to make for a tighter mass of shot/pellets at a longer distance.

basically

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

How does the choke work?

Old 11-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16833 Times on 9756 Posts
Likes Given: 43897

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
How does the choke work?
many years ago, before screw-in choke tubes, the gunmakers made the barrels in different constrictions, the ID of the bore. with the screw-in choke tubes, the constrition is in the tube, not the barrel. just take a choke tube wrench and screw it out and screw another one in.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #5

Liked 740 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Mossberg Defender w/ 18.5in barrel is my HD weapon of choice, Holds 7- 3in shells. First 5 are 00, last 2 are steel core slugs. I have 2 of them set up like that, 1 upstairs (bedroom), and 1 downstairs. with xtra shells stashed at key locations around the house.Dogs will let me know if someone gets anywhere near the house. I would go that route, then get a nice shot barrel with changeable chokes, you will be all set.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Last edited by readygirl; 11-12-2012 at 03:55 AM.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #6

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The gun you are looking at does not have a barrel that will be accurate with slugs. If you insist on shooting slugs through a smooth barrel you might want to look at a Stevens combo. It has rifle sights on a short smooth barrel. The Mossberg combo that is accurate with slugs has a rifled barrel. You are looking at a security combo that is meant to shoot buckshot and slugs at short range.

If you consider the defender make sure the magazine tube sticks out past the forearm so you can mount a light. I wouldn't consider a shotgun with a pistol grip. It looks cool and it's easy to stow but it's not very accurate. In my opinion the pistol grip renders a shotgun as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #7

Liked 515 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
The gun you are looking at does not have a barrel that will be accurate with slugs. If you insist on shooting slugs through a smooth barrel you might want to look at a Stevens combo. It has rifle sights on a short smooth barrel. The Mossberg combo that is accurate with slugs has a rifled barrel. You are looking at a security combo that is meant to shoot buckshot and slugs at short range.

If you consider the defender make sure the magazine tube sticks out past the forearm so you can mount a light. I wouldn't consider a shotgun with a pistol grip. It looks cool and it's easy to stow but it's not very accurate. In my opinion the pistol grip renders a shotgun as useless as a screen door on a submarine.
How does a pistol grip affect the accuracy of a shotgun?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #8

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
How does a pistol grip affect the accuracy of a shotgun?
How can you even ask this question? How does one shoulder a gun with a pistol grip? I shoot with a sporting clay national champion quite often. Even he has problems shooting from the hip. We all try it but no one gets good results. That business of using a single point sling to steady your aim is for small caliber weapons not a 12 ga. I tried to use a single point sling to steady my aim with a 460 S&W. That went over like a fart in a space suit. Good luck with a 12 ga.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #9

Liked 515 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
How can you even ask this question? How does one shoulder a gun with a pistol grip? I shoot with a sporting clay national champion quite often. Even he has problems shooting from the hip. We all try it but no one gets good results. That business of using a single point sling to steady your aim is for small caliber weapons not a 12 ga. I tried to use a single point sling to steady my aim with a 460 S&W. That went over like a fart in a space suit. Good luck with a 12 ga.
Well, I suppose the same way a person shoulders an AR-15 or similar long gun with a pistol grip.

I have this Weatherby 459 TK with a pistol grip. I haven't shot it yet, but it does aim nice. It has a Picatinny Rail with LPA Ghost Ring rear sight and a Fiber Optic front.

I won't be attempting to shoot clays with it. But I will be taking it to the range in the next few days along with a Weatherby SA-08 and a Remington 11-87.

I will see how it compares.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I never planned on using the pistol grip, thanks for the comments