Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Shotgun help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-help-76193/)

95sniper 11-12-2012 03:14 AM

Shotgun help
 
I am new to shotguns and would like to know some things. I normally just shoot rifle and handguns, I rarely shoot my dads savage fox 12ga. and would like to know the difference between the different types of shotgun ammo. I am also considering buying a mossberg 500 for home defense and to start skeet shooting. I looked at the package they have that comes with an 18" barrel and 28" barrel, can you shoot slugs out of these barrels, such as Hornady TAP? Also what are some home defense round suggestions?


http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/mossberg/500-combo-shotgun-12-ga-28in-mc-18in-cb-black/

orangello 11-12-2012 03:25 AM

The "choke" determines if shooting slugs will be damaging or dangerous. The shorter HD barrels are often "cylinder bore" or unchoked and would be fine for slugs (have shot many from mine). The longer barrels for bird hunting or trap are not really suitable for slugs. There are barrels with rifling to make your slug shooting more accurate; they usually have rifle type sights instead of bead sights (deer hunting in restricted states/shotgun only areas).

My mossberg 500 is so old that the long barrel is made in "modified choke" size. The newer shotguns usually have removable chokes that screw in the end of the barrel. The choke tightens up the pattern of shot loads to make for a tighter mass of shot/pellets at a longer distance.

basically

95sniper 11-12-2012 03:35 AM

How does the choke work?

Axxe55 11-12-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95sniper (Post 1011124)
How does the choke work?

many years ago, before screw-in choke tubes, the gunmakers made the barrels in different constrictions, the ID of the bore. with the screw-in choke tubes, the constrition is in the tube, not the barrel. just take a choke tube wrench and screw it out and screw another one in.

readygirl 11-12-2012 03:47 AM

Mossberg Defender w/ 18.5in barrel is my HD weapon of choice, Holds 7- 3in shells. First 5 are 00, last 2 are steel core slugs. I have 2 of them set up like that, 1 upstairs (bedroom), and 1 downstairs. with xtra shells stashed at key locations around the house.Dogs will let me know if someone gets anywhere near the house. I would go that route, then get a nice shot barrel with changeable chokes, you will be all set.

Old_Crow 11-12-2012 07:59 AM

The gun you are looking at does not have a barrel that will be accurate with slugs. If you insist on shooting slugs through a smooth barrel you might want to look at a Stevens combo. It has rifle sights on a short smooth barrel. The Mossberg combo that is accurate with slugs has a rifled barrel. You are looking at a security combo that is meant to shoot buckshot and slugs at short range.

If you consider the defender make sure the magazine tube sticks out past the forearm so you can mount a light. I wouldn't consider a shotgun with a pistol grip. It looks cool and it's easy to stow but it's not very accurate. In my opinion the pistol grip renders a shotgun as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

steadyshot 11-12-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 1011288)
The gun you are looking at does not have a barrel that will be accurate with slugs. If you insist on shooting slugs through a smooth barrel you might want to look at a Stevens combo. It has rifle sights on a short smooth barrel. The Mossberg combo that is accurate with slugs has a rifled barrel. You are looking at a security combo that is meant to shoot buckshot and slugs at short range.

If you consider the defender make sure the magazine tube sticks out past the forearm so you can mount a light. I wouldn't consider a shotgun with a pistol grip. It looks cool and it's easy to stow but it's not very accurate. In my opinion the pistol grip renders a shotgun as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

How does a pistol grip affect the accuracy of a shotgun?

Old_Crow 11-12-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadyshot (Post 1011300)
How does a pistol grip affect the accuracy of a shotgun?

How can you even ask this question? How does one shoulder a gun with a pistol grip? I shoot with a sporting clay national champion quite often. Even he has problems shooting from the hip. We all try it but no one gets good results. That business of using a single point sling to steady your aim is for small caliber weapons not a 12 ga. I tried to use a single point sling to steady my aim with a 460 S&W. That went over like a fart in a space suit. Good luck with a 12 ga.

steadyshot 11-12-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow (Post 1011327)
How can you even ask this question? How does one shoulder a gun with a pistol grip? I shoot with a sporting clay national champion quite often. Even he has problems shooting from the hip. We all try it but no one gets good results. That business of using a single point sling to steady your aim is for small caliber weapons not a 12 ga. I tried to use a single point sling to steady my aim with a 460 S&W. That went over like a fart in a space suit. Good luck with a 12 ga.

Well, I suppose the same way a person shoulders an AR-15 or similar long gun with a pistol grip.

I have this Weatherby 459 TK with a pistol grip. I haven't shot it yet, but it does aim nice. It has a Picatinny Rail with LPA Ghost Ring rear sight and a Fiber Optic front.

I won't be attempting to shoot clays with it. But I will be taking it to the range in the next few days along with a Weatherby SA-08 and a Remington 11-87.

I will see how it compares.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...421/001-17.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...r421/004-7.jpg

95sniper 11-12-2012 12:42 PM

I never planned on using the pistol grip, thanks for the comments


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.