Shotgun for a Groom - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun for a Groom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1667 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 587

No one is going to take the Red Label seriously unless Ruger brings out a 20 ga and a 28 ga. People buy O/U shotguns because they have a competition winning pedigree.

There are a lot of very nice O/U shotguns but the Citori dominates the market. Every time you see a skeet/sporting clay competition there are lot of Citori's used in competition.

Lindenwood University has won nine national championships in a row.Lindenwood is coached by skeet legend Shawn Dulohery, a 17-year member of the USA Shooting National Team who finished fifth at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, and was a five-time World Champion and World Cup medalist. All the Lindenwood University shooters shoot a Browning Citori in competition.

The market for hunting shotguns is crowded with fair guns at half the price. Not to mention the number of hunters, especially bird hunters is declining. In many areas of the south you don't hear the familiar bobwhite whistle of a quail anymore on summer afternoons.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-17-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #22

Liked 133 Times on 103 Posts

I didn't see many Citoris at the Olympics. There is nothing wrong with a Citori, but I don't think the fact that one good team uses them makes them one bit better than Berettas, Perrazzis, K guns, or the like. Heck, they may get a discount for them for the advertising value. Tom Knapp helped make Benelli popular, but he switched when the money did.
Agree with you about the quail situation. Very sad. Used to hear them all the time growing up, and they would walk across the yard when you were sitting on the porch lots of time. I certainly miss Gentleman Bob.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Just write a letter or send an email to Joe Biden. He's an expert on shotguns and will tell you what is best.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8311 Times on 4803 Posts
Likes Given: 10769

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
No one is going to take the Red Label seriously unless Ruger brings out a 20 ga and a 28 ga.
I am sure they will be coming out with a 20 gauge and 28 gauge here shortly. And I already take them seriously. So there is one of me!

Quote:
People buy O/U shotguns because they have a competition winning pedigree.

There are a lot of very nice O/U shotguns but the Citori dominates the market. Every time you see a skeet/sporting clay competition there are lot of Citori's used in competition.

Lindenwood University has won more national championships in a row.Lindenwood is coached by skeet legend Shawn Dulohery, a 17-year member of the USA Shooting National Team who finished fifth at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, and was a five-time World Champion and World Cup medalist. All the Lindenwood University shooters shoot a Browning Citori in competition.

The market for hunting shotguns is crowded with fair guns at half the price. Not to mention the number of hunters, especially bird hunters is declining. In many areas of the south you don't hear the familiar bobwhite whistle of a quail anymore on summer afternoons.
Citori would be another good choice.

What you say is all well and good, but in all reality it has very little to do with the gun and everything to do with the person shooting it. A better gun will not make you a better shooter.

I have a buddy who studied music several years ago. Incredibly talented dude. He can literally play just about any instrument he picks up with great skill. One day he was to meet Eddie Van Halen at the conservatory where my buddy was to show Eddie around the studio and school. My buddy was totally excited (and who wouldn't be) figuring he might learn something about how Van Halen tuned his axe or something to get that special "Van Halen Sound" that you can hear in just a note or two of him playing.

The way my buddy tells it, Van Halen walked in the studio, almost immediately noticed my buddy's axxe in the stand, picks it up and just starts riffing on it like it was his own- and sounding just like Van Halen always does.

It had nothing to do with the guitar whatsoever.

Oh, and my buddy is an attorney in San Diego now.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 03-17-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #25

Liked 133 Times on 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The way my buddy tells it, Van Halen walked in the studio, almost immediately noticed my buddy's axxe in the stand, picks it up and just starts riffing on it like it was his own- and sounding just like Van Halen always does.
It had nothing to do with the guitar whatsoever.
Now that's a cool story, and 100% believable.
Saw Tom Knapp shoot a few clays shooting behind his back. I said I don't think I could ever do that. He picked up my gun and did it. "At least you know the gun can do it," he said with a smile.

What could have happened... did.

People Like This 
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1667 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I agree that a better gun won't make you a better shooter. No gun can increase your god given talent or the amount of practice one is willing to take. Most O/U shotguns are sold to people who shoot skeet or sporting clays. They see what winning shooters are shooting. Then they go out and buy the same gun.

Some hunters will spend a lot of money for a gun. I am guilty of beating up a nice gun while hunting. But most hunters will buy a low/mid priced gun that swings good. Most hunters want more than two shots.

To be honest, if I was to go out and buy a new O/U tomorrow I would probably buy a Stevens 512. I don't shoot enough anymore to buy another Browning.

Most Olympic shooters are sponsored. They shoot the gun they are issued, almost like the military. Of all the American athletes only one qualified for the Olympics on her own dime. The rest of the Olympic athletes had a sponsor/benefactor. Kim Rhode was given a Perazzi 2000S to shoot in the 2012 summer Olympics.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #27
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8311 Times on 4803 Posts
Likes Given: 10769

Quote:
I agree that a better gun won't make you a better shooter. No gun can increase your god given talent or the amount of practice one is willing to take. Most O/U shotguns are sold to people who shoot skeet or sporting clays. They see what winning shooters are shooting. Then they go out and buy the same gun.

Some hunters will spend a lot of money for a gun. I am guilty of beating up a nice gun while hunting. But most hunters will buy a low/mid priced gun that swings good. Most hunters want more than two shots.

To be honest, if I was to go out and buy a new O/U tomorrow I would probably buy a Stevens 512. I don't shoot enough anymore to buy another Browning.

Most Olympic shooters are sponsored. They shoot the gun they are issued, almost like the military. Of all the American athletes only one qualified for the Olympics on her own dime. The rest of the Olympic athletes had a sponsor/benefactor. Kim Rhode was given a Perazzi 2000S to shoot in the 2012 summer Olympics.
All that having been said, giving a shotgun to a groom (or better yet, a groom buying shotguns for all of his groomsmen!) does not seem to come with a lot of tradition. Since the groom only occasionally shoots skeet I would lean towards a skeet gun, which traditionally would be an O/U.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #28

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Make shore you paint it white for the wedding

Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #29
RKB

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:

Kim's personal gun was stolen in 2008, IIRC. Her many fans banded together, took donations, and bought her a new Perazzi to replace it. The stolen gun was recovered and returned to her but she had been practicing so much with the new gun that she decided to use it in the Olympics.