Shotgun for a Groom - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun for a Groom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

How many years was the Ruger Red Label One in production, and they never did get all the bugs out. So they introduced version two at Shot Show; what does that signify, other than that they are trying to sell guns? I have heard of and seen issues with failure to fire and shells slipping past the ejectors. Do a search.
BTW, I used to sell guns. I do not like O/Us, period, but I sold a lot of Beretta and Browning O/Us, and only had one go back for a minor cosmetic issue. After about 5 Rugers I wouldn't order any more. I have Ruger rifles and handguns, and really like them, but I wonder if precision investment casting isn't working out too well for shotguns. I liked the look and feel of the Gold Label, but they vanished in a heartbeat.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You could always go with a Rem 1187. Its more of a field gun but is a solid shotgun and priced between $600 and $700 depending on exact model.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8473 Times on 4905 Posts
Likes Given: 11033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
How many years was the Ruger Red Label One in production, and they never did get all the bugs out. So they introduced version two at Shot Show; what does that signify, other than that they are trying to sell guns? I have heard of and seen issues with failure to fire and shells slipping past the ejectors. Do a search.
BTW, I used to sell guns. I do not like O/Us, period, but I sold a lot of Beretta and Browning O/Us, and only had one go back for a minor cosmetic issue. After about 5 Rugers I wouldn't order any more. I have Ruger rifles and handguns, and really like them, but I wonder if precision investment casting isn't working out too well for shotguns. I liked the look and feel of the Gold Label, but they vanished in a heartbeat.
The original Red Label was all hand fitted and hand built with many, many steps for each process along the way. Lots of labor involved. The "new model" has eliminated a lot of that hand work through modern tooling and production techniques as well as CNC machining. By using all of these modern production techniques (and retooling the entire production line in the process) they have managed to build the Red Label less expensively and with greater precision that the older version. They introduced it at SHOT because that is where everybody in the industry introduces their new products or improved products every year. That and they want to sell guns. No revelation there as they are, after all, a gun company.

I did do a search. Even found your post on another forum that pretty much is a reiteration of what you wrote here. I did not, however, find a great deal of criticism on the new one, which is why I asked.

Fair enough posting your experience, that is more than I have to offer. Almost all of the over/under guns I have shot have been far superior to any of the other types when shooting skeet or sporting clays. I typically shoot my Remington 870 or the Mossberg 935 for clays (I do not currently own an O/U) I will say though that there is one O/U that I have seen the owner frequently have trouble with tot he point where he can rarely finish a round of E-trap (where we typically will see him) because of these failures. He shoots one of his Pirazzis. He usually brings a couple of them to the range at a time so he can use one as a backup. The least expensive of these guns (that I have seen) is over $30K.

I have no idea why precision investment casting would not work out well for shotguns where it has been working well for decades in the past. that puzzles me as to why one would think that. Can you enlighten me there? I do know that Ruger has been using the process very successfully for as long as they have been making guns, or nearly so. Heck, Precision investment casting is how they made a large percentage of the parts in the Space programs too and they seem to work quite well in those applications.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #14

Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts

Default Shotgun for a Groom

Well, since we aren't assuming the original poster has a 'less than a grand' limit for a gift to a buddy then I'm putting myself in the buddy's shoes. I shoot skeet. Every week. It's what I live for. If I was going to get a gun my choices, in no order, would include:

• Caesar Guerini Summit Impact Type-S
• Caesar Guerini Ellipse EVOlution
• Anything made by Kolar
• Krieghoff K-80 Pro Sporter
• Rizzini Fierce 1
• Beretta DT11
• Browning Citori 725 Sporting with adjustable comb
• Fausti Magnificent Sporting
• Perazzi MXS Sporting
• Blaser F3 Super Sport

As for semi-autos I'd take:

• Winchester Super X3 Sporting
• Benelli SuperSport
• Beretta A400 Xcel
• Browning Maxus Sporting Golden Clays
• Benelli Ethos
• Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Sporting

Last edited by indy36; 03-11-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #15

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

I just don't like O/Us, except for a 28 gauge scaled frame Beretta I shot and a 28 gauge Caesar Guerini. I especially don't like the Brownings, starting with the Superposed, so I realize that puts me in the minority. Maybe that's why I did/do not get swept up in the new cheap American made O/U fever. CNC machining and all the other manufacturing techniques have been around quite a while. I do not know why Ruger is having issues, but I know they are, and I do know they use precision investment casting. I do not know why they kept having issues with the first generation guns. Biggest difference I see is they have gone to a one piece receiver casting replacing the old two piece on gen two. Maybe they are trying to design out hand work with precision machining, and it isn't adding up tolerance wise; this is speculation, I do not know. I do know the other major players in the game all still have to rely on a lot of handwork in their assembly of good O/Us. I do hope they solve the issues. Remington had several issues with the early VersaMaxes, and they jumped all over them making small design changes and replacing guns for customers, and now it seems they have a winner. I hope Ruger can duplicate the feat. But, I do not think they are there yet. You are of course free to differ.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #16
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I can personally attest to the quality of the FN SC-1 12ga O/U. Screw in choke tubes (comes with five, including two skeet), is able to break down to fit smaller cases (including the one it comes in), has fiber optic front sight with three different color inserts, an adjustable comb and a very sweet trigger pull that will allow you to concentrate on aim. This gun has all of the modern conveniences and technology in a beautiful O/U platform. The stock is layered in either blue or tan wood and has the warm feel not present in polymer. Street price is $1,800-2,000 and well worth it.

For someone shooting skeet twice a year, this doesn't break the pocketbook and fills the need quite well. There is no engraving or other embellishments that raise the price as this is a shooter, but it is high quality in every other regard. Being able to change choke, sight and comb should make this gun customizable enough to fit most full-sized adults. A good buy that doesn't skimp on quality in any way.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

My pref for just skeet or bitding is the cz ringneck in 12ga which is a side by side. I prefer side by side to o/u its just classier and easier to use for me.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #18

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

If he's a big guy, 6', up over 250 pounds, a Mossberg 500 with

the 18 & 28" barrel combo would be a nice combo, but the recoil

is a little nasty for a smaller guy.

Maybe a clean Rem 870, with the nice grain wood stock, and the

two barrels? A simple, but nice system he could have, as a go to,

for all occasions...

Old 03-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

If the shotgun is to enforce the wedding, a Mossberg 500 12 ga pump with 18.5" barrel should be good, but practice reloading in a hurry. Also, be sure to buy a nice pair of bib overalls and a tank top with an appropriate slogan on it.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 03-11-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys, great info. I guess I did not add a price point. I am looking between 400-700 bucks. If he was more of a gun guy I might go more, but the truth is that this firearm is most likely gonna become a paperweight more than it is going to be a skeet workhorse. So that being said, I'm not looking to find something really reliable cause it will probably take him 10 years to put 1000 rounds through it anyways. He will also never hunt with it so it doesn't need to be synthetic. All I'm looking for is a descent looking, wood stock shotgun. Wether it's over/under or pump or semi, it doesn't really matter. He doesn't know brands of guns so a Remington 870 will probably make him as happy as a Browning Citori hahahaha.

But all the nice o/u recommendations do help me cause I am in the market for a classy o/u myself.