Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Which Shotgun To Get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Which Shotgun To Get

This summer I went shooting. Some of that was shooting clays. Most of my shooting is with rifles. I hadn't been shooting clays since I was in the scouts. Anyhow, I hit all of them but one. I'm surprised how well I did and had a lot of fun.

Long story short, I want to get into skeet shooting and I need to know what shotgun would be best. I assumed at the start a semi-auto would be good and I automatically thought of a Benelli. However, my dad likes to go pheasant hunting and he said I should get an over under. Then I thought about a side by side.

So, what would you suggest for skeet shooting?

Last edited by Polygon; 11-16-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"Best" is a crazy word. I use my 1100 Classic Trap for skeet and trap and I love it. Works great for my needs. I suggest you try many varieties, and find one which gives you a feeling of comfort and capability. Sorry for the non-answer, but it's an impossible question.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Beretta 3901 auto from Bass Pro, Cabelas, Walmart, etc. Less than $600 bucks and good for any clay game and hunting. Indestructible and will last a lifetime. It's in the top 25 best shotguns produced...

Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Can't believe I said pigeon hunting. I meant pheasant hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp View Post
"Best" is a crazy word. I use my 1100 Classic Trap for skeet and trap and I love it. Works great for my needs. I suggest you try many varieties, and find one which gives you a feeling of comfort and capability. Sorry for the non-answer, but it's an impossible question.
I guess, I'm not really wanting to know a specific "best" shotgun. More, which kind of shotgun would be best. A semi-auto, side by side, or over under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugo View Post
Beretta 3901 auto from Bass Pro, Cabelas, Walmart, etc. Less than $600 bucks and good for any clay game and hunting. Indestructible and will last a lifetime. It's in the top 25 best shotguns produced...
Thanks!

I'll look into that.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

CZ USA builds a nice over and under for around $500. Check their web page here CZ-USA -> Hunting & Sporting Firearms and Accessories

I especially like the Mallard:

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #6

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

for hunting, clay shooting, and other fun stuff I use a rem 870, but that's just me.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Can't believe I said pigeon hunting. I meant pheasant hunting.

I guess, I'm not really wanting to know a specific "best" shotgun. More, which kind of shotgun would be best. A semi-auto, side by side, or over under.

Well, I'm a fan of the semi-auto. Unmatched volume of lead downrange

Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #8

Liked 1117 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
for hunting, clay shooting, and other fun stuff I use a rem 870, but that's just me.
Unclebear,

In your photo, who are you aiming the muzzle at? (I was never any good at over the shoulder shots)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #9

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts

Look for a good USED name brand gas action semi auto. After you shoot a while and form your own tastes, you may want something else, but you won't get anything that will really work any better, and you won't lose any money if you take decent care of it and decide to sell it later. GOOD O/Us are very durable and some people love them, but i am convinced the number one reason people buy an O/U is because they think its fashionable. A cheap O/U will not impress anyone, or handle all that well, or last very long with hard use.

What could have happened... did.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #10

I would absolutely love to encourage you to go right to a nice Benelli.

But, I won't. I love Benellis, but they are tooooo much money for the average beginner shooter. ( unless the price tag is not an issue for you)

I have owned 3 different 391s. Had problems with them all. To be fair, I shot them all ALOT. I tried a Benelli, and never had any problems after shooting them ALOT.

That being said, for a beginner, (until you are sure you will be a long-term shooter) I suggest getting a nice, less expensive (used) auto. If you need to resell it, the financial hit will be far less.
I recommend the autos because, if you ever want to shoot a 3 bird shoot, or auto only shoot, you can.
By the way, MAKE SURE the gun fits you well.

"My thinker must be broken"