Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Which Shotgun To Get (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-get-51915/)

Polygon 11-16-2011 05:29 PM

Which Shotgun To Get

This summer I went shooting. Some of that was shooting clays. Most of my shooting is with rifles. I hadn't been shooting clays since I was in the scouts. Anyhow, I hit all of them but one. I'm surprised how well I did and had a lot of fun.

Long story short, I want to get into skeet shooting and I need to know what shotgun would be best. I assumed at the start a semi-auto would be good and I automatically thought of a Benelli. However, my dad likes to go pheasant hunting and he said I should get an over under. Then I thought about a side by side.

So, what would you suggest for skeet shooting?

dmp 11-16-2011 05:46 PM

"Best" is a crazy word. I use my 1100 Classic Trap for skeet and trap and I love it. Works great for my needs. I suggest you try many varieties, and find one which gives you a feeling of comfort and capability. :) Sorry for the non-answer, but it's an impossible question.

Slugo 11-16-2011 07:47 PM

Beretta 3901 auto from Bass Pro, Cabelas, Walmart, etc. Less than $600 bucks and good for any clay game and hunting. Indestructible and will last a lifetime. It's in the top 25 best shotguns produced...

Polygon 11-16-2011 09:36 PM

Can't believe I said pigeon hunting. I meant pheasant hunting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmp (Post 629095)
"Best" is a crazy word. I use my 1100 Classic Trap for skeet and trap and I love it. Works great for my needs. I suggest you try many varieties, and find one which gives you a feeling of comfort and capability. :) Sorry for the non-answer, but it's an impossible question.

I guess, I'm not really wanting to know a specific "best" shotgun. More, which kind of shotgun would be best. A semi-auto, side by side, or over under.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slugo (Post 629201)
Beretta 3901 auto from Bass Pro, Cabelas, Walmart, etc. Less than $600 bucks and good for any clay game and hunting. Indestructible and will last a lifetime. It's in the top 25 best shotguns produced...

Thanks!

I'll look into that.

dunerunner 11-16-2011 10:00 PM

CZ USA builds a nice over and under for around $500. Check their web page here CZ-USA -> Hunting & Sporting Firearms and Accessories

I especially like the Mallard:

http://www.cz-usa.com/assets/cache/3...fcf8b67e03.png

unclebear 11-16-2011 11:27 PM

for hunting, clay shooting, and other fun stuff I use a rem 870, but that's just me.

dmp 11-16-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polygon (Post 629270)
Can't believe I said pigeon hunting. I meant pheasant hunting.

I guess, I'm not really wanting to know a specific "best" shotgun. More, which kind of shotgun would be best. A semi-auto, side by side, or over under.

Well, I'm a fan of the semi-auto. Unmatched volume of lead downrange :)

Chainfire 11-16-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear (Post 629348)
for hunting, clay shooting, and other fun stuff I use a rem 870, but that's just me.

Unclebear,

In your photo, who are you aiming the muzzle at? (I was never any good at over the shoulder shots):D

Virginian 11-16-2011 11:51 PM

Look for a good USED name brand gas action semi auto. After you shoot a while and form your own tastes, you may want something else, but you won't get anything that will really work any better, and you won't lose any money if you take decent care of it and decide to sell it later. GOOD O/Us are very durable and some people love them, but i am convinced the number one reason people buy an O/U is because they think its fashionable. A cheap O/U will not impress anyone, or handle all that well, or last very long with hard use.

jimbobpissypants 11-17-2011 01:22 AM

I would absolutely love to encourage you to go right to a nice Benelli.

But, I won't. I love Benellis, but they are tooooo much money for the average beginner shooter. ( unless the price tag is not an issue for you)

I have owned 3 different 391s. Had problems with them all. To be fair, I shot them all ALOT. I tried a Benelli, and never had any problems after shooting them ALOT.

That being said, for a beginner, (until you are sure you will be a long-term shooter) I suggest getting a nice, less expensive (used) auto. If you need to resell it, the financial hit will be far less.
I recommend the autos because, if you ever want to shoot a 3 bird shoot, or auto only shoot, you can.
By the way, MAKE SURE the gun fits you well.