Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun decision and load options.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So one of the things missing from my collection is a shotgun. I have no real use for one. I do not hunt and I don't really need one for home defense, as I feel more comfortable using one of my pistols for maneuverability and higher ammo capacity.

I am looking for a simple shotgun just to have some fun at the range with. Recently I came across a Pardner pump 12ga with interchangeable 18" and 28"(?) Barrels. I could be wrong about the 28" length but that is besides the point. I figure with the short barrel, I could use that at the indoor range and the longer if I decide to go skeet shooting at an outdoor range.

Any other suggestions on an inexpensive shotgun for simple target fun? Doesn't necessarily need to be 12ga. Also.. what type of shot load should be used for range (30 yard indoor range) usage.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #2

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I'm not 100% sure it fits your needs since I'm just getting into shotguns as well, but I would suggest a Mossberg 500. As for shot load, just look for target loads at Walmart.

EDIT: Perhaps this one?

Mossberg 500 Combo 12ga 28/18 @ Bud's

Last edited by Polygon; 04-17-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #3

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja
So one of the things missing from my collection is a shotgun. I have no real use for one. I do not hunt and I don't really need one for home defense, as I feel more comfortable using one of my pistols for maneuverability and higher ammo capacity.

I am looking for a simple shotgun just to have some fun at the range with. Recently I came across a Pardner pump 12ga with interchangeable 18" and 28"(?) Barrels. I could be wrong about the 28" length but that is besides the point. I figure with the short barrel, I could use that at the indoor range and the longer if I decide to go skeet shooting at an outdoor range.

Any other suggestions on an inexpensive shotgun for simple target fun? Doesn't necessarily need to be 12ga. Also.. what type of shot load should be used for range (30 yard indoor range) usage.
If you are wanting a cheap but reliable gun id go with the pardener they are good guns for the money

Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Liked 86 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 203

I have a mossberg 500 combo (12ga), you can get em on sale for under $300, especially if you have big5 where youre at. Alternatively, for little over $100, you can get a single barrel break action, i would recommend that

Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default How bout a Beretta

Here's mine... it's an all around shotgun.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I also recently came across one of these shotguns at Cabelas for $225 brand new: TriStar Cobra Tactical 12ga.

Anyone familiar with this brand? http://www.tristararms.com/index.php

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #7

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 218

I'd also highly recommend taking a look at the Mossberg Maverick 88. That to, is a good, dependable gun that should run in the $150-250 range.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm gonna honk the good ol Remington 870. I got mine for $289.

They make a tactical model if that's your bag, but for just screwing around shooting clays just a basic stock 870 would be fine.

I'm more of a rifle shooter/big game hunter, but just shooting clay pigeons all day with your buds is as fun a time as I've ever had. And any trigger time you can get helps IMHO.