Shotgun condition for home - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun condition for home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Right next to bed. Fully loaded and chambered with 00 buck. I don't believe in the sound of a slide racking deterring anybody. It just gives away your position. Likewise with lasers and lights. You should know the layout of your own house well enough not to need them. I live alone so anybody there has no business there. All they will hear is a soft click and a boom.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #22

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My shotgun lives in the safe, as others have mentioned, its not my primary. It's there for when I KNOW something is going on and have time to grab it.

It sits with 7 in the tube and 1 in the chamber, safety on. It's a semi so i dont have the opportunity to make the scary noise people like so much.

I disagree completely with that BS by the way. In my years, and in all the years of my friends and family, nobody i know has ever seen anybody crap their pants when a shotgun is cocked

As mentioned all you have done is told somebody where you are, and that you have a shotgun. Thats more information than they deserve. The only thing they should hear before a shot is fired is you ordering them to get on the ground or what have you.

I can grab my shotgun, make an inaudible click as i remove the safety, and then dump 8 rounds of whatever its loaded with as fast as I can pull the trigger if necessary.

Also for the question of whether that 1 shot is valuable or not (regardless of liking the mean scary pumping sound). Folks mention reloading from a side saddle or sling or whatever. Lol. how fast can you reload your shotgun, in the dark, under stress? I'll opt for having as much in the gun and having it as close to ready as possible. But thats just me, YYMV.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
People Like This 
Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My Mossberg 500 is kept by the alarm clock with a full tube, first round is bird shot, empty chamber, and safety off; I don't trust the cats not to figure out the safety.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #24

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

If you think the racking sound will scare away a perp, remember they may just empty their gun in the direction of that sound.

Guns are not for scaring or threatening or holding at bay. You should only point your gun at what you intend to destroy. At that moment. So unloaded or a beanbag makes no sense to me. This is the most serious of situations. No fooling around. You break into my house I will give no quarter.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #25

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Right next to bed. Fully loaded and chambered with 00 buck. I don't believe in the sound of a slide racking deterring anybody. It just gives away your position. Likewise with lasers and lights. You should know the layout of your own house well enough not to need them.
Quote:
I live alone
so anybody there has no business there. All they will hear is a soft click and a boom.
So everyone got tired of your shet

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 07-27-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #26

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Con. 3 in the downstairs closet. Safety off, for the sole reason of keeping my girlfriend in mind. I work late and/or out of town a good bit; leaving her home alone quite often. In the event that such a high stress situation ever comes to the door of our home while she is alone and unable to retrieve her pistol; I want her to have think of as little as possible in the operation of the Mossberg ( //witch she is currently not super comfortable with, although she does love cycling the pump; she is attracted to the sound I suppose. This is why I feel fine leaving the chamber empty, even though it does somewhat contradict my thought process regarding her having to remember as little as possible of how Mossberg operates.//) Ever since we have moved into our new place, we have made it a point to incorporate more and more shotgun time into our shooting days, to build up her confidence with the platform. (//we try to head out at least three times a month minimum, or as often as our schedules allow it.//) I've noticed that the location of the safety on the 500's has been brought up a couple of times on this thread already. I am comfortable with the location, but feel that if my girlfriend was to forget anything needed to fire the gun; it would be kicking the safety off. This again in the sole reason I keep my 12 in condition 3; tube full, chamber empty, safety off. I hope this can help any of you that are looking for something to think over before making a decision on conditions. Stay safe all and God bless!

To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian. --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #27

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I keep my Mossberg 500 unloaded, same with my father, as my nieces and nephews are constantly around. I keep all for of my handguns locked up in a fingerprint safe that I can open in exactly 1 second. This way me or my father can access it quickly enough to defend the house, but at the same time keep the kids away from them and safe. I want to get a long arm safe for the shotguns to be locked up.....once I do that, then I'll keep mine loaded.
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Sccy CPX-2
DPMS Oracle AR-15
D'armes de Guerre 25-06
Norinco SKS
Sears Model 25 made my High Standard

Old 07-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #28

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

I keep my Winchester 1300 w/18" barrel fully loaded with an empty chamber in the closet right next to my bedside table. First shell is #4 birdshot with the following four shells 00 buckshot.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #29

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

12 ga mossy 500, con 1. loaded with 00 buck.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #30

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead0881 View Post
I keep my Winchester 1300 w/18" barrel fully loaded with an empty chamber in the closet right next to my bedside table. First shell is #4 birdshot with the following four shells 00 buckshot.
18" barrel?? Or did u mean 18-1/2.