Shotgun condition for home
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun condition for home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default Shotgun condition for home

So just to get some opinions, if you use a pump action shotgun in your home defense setup, what condition do you keep it in?
Con 1: loaded +1 chambered safety on
Con 3: loaded, empty chamber safety on Mod Con 3: loaded, empty chamber safety off Hopefully not con 4 which would be unloaded.

Here is my situation. My shotgun is not my primary gun to go investigate a bump in the night. I choose the bedside pistol for that. However, if I was for sure that someone was breaking into my house, car, or causing some other mischief on my property an had time to grab it from the closet behind the clothes, well then I would take that.

Being that it is a pump action, and being from the south where we are familiar with the sound, I am a firm believed that the sound of the action is enough to stop a good majority of the problems in their tracks. I just don't know if it is better for me to pump the shotgun and have that powerful affect and not have to use the gun, or to already have one in the chamber so I have 6 rounds instead of 5. (Of course if 5 rounds of 00 buck doesn't solve my problem, and the other 5 from the stock still doesn't correct the situation, there is little hope for that last one.)

Also, in regards to keeping the safety on or off, I am leaning towards off. My shotgun, a mossberg 500, has the safety in a somewhat awkward spot. I am married but have no kids or little ones running around. Of course if I opt for a round already chambered then I will keep the safety on regardless.

So what are y'all's thoughts?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #2

Liked 1798 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

I don't have my shotgun out right now. My 3 year old grandson has been visiting a lot. I like just being able to put my pistol on top of my 5 foot tall dresser.

When I did keep a shotgun in my closet it was my Mossy 500. I kept it with 5 rounds of 00 buck in it. Empty chamber and safety off. I know that their are people that have the extended tube and keep 8 rounds in it. I feel like if 5 rounds of 00 buck is not going to stop the threat I would be better off with my AR.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1552 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 7928

Condition 3. It is possible to quietly operate the slide and chamber the first round. That familiar sound that is supposed to scare the sh!t out a a BG can also inform them as to your location and intent. If they are armed as well, you may wind up causing them to have an idea of where to fire. Just something to ponder.

The shotgun is not my first choice for a bump in the night. The 1911 or the GP100, both with a flashlight at the ready in the off hand, are the first choices, as both are closer to me when I sleep than the shotgun is. The shotgun is for the wife to cover from the bedroom door just in case she and the daughter need to hole up in there. have not had it come to the point of having to use the pistols or the shotgun yet, hope we never have to.

Only home invasion we have had in the last 8 years was a possum about 4 years back came in by knocking the fan out of the porch window after shredding part of a screen. Took care of him with the sling shot and a 3\8 ball bearing followed up with a knife. A little season salt, garlic, and onion powder along with about 40 minutes on a spit finished him off perfectly.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21224 Times on 12054 Posts
Likes Given: 52974

modified con. 3. loaded, none in the chamber and safety off. no children in the home, just thewife and i so we can take steps that others with children can't or shouldn't take. both the pump shotguns are kept in our bedroom along with two pistols. part of that is for four legged critters vs. the two legged types. as where we live, yes we could experiance a home invasion of some nefarious BG's intent on raping and pillaging, but snakes and coyotes would be highly more likely. we have had wild hogs and coyotes as close as 40-50 from the back of the house at night.

People Like This 
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Con 3 loaded mag tube empty chamber. the first shell is a bean bag round because i know there is a mentally disabled man in the neighborhood and i wouldn't want to kill him if he somehow broke into my house at night im not sure what he looks like but i know theres one to watch out for maybe he didnt take his meds and wandered off. And also i wouldn't want to kill somebody over a tv or if something that isn't life threatening happend and they were just trying to steal a tv id give him a chance to leave. if he dosent leave id hit him with the bean bag round and if he still dosent leave and comes after me the next round will be a 00 buckshot to the chest. im not sure if i should get rid of the bean bag round option. but then again i wouldn't want a lethal only. and if i killed a home invader id have to explain what happend in court so i might just keep the 1 bean bag round so they know i gave him a chance to leave and had no choice.

Last edited by hq357; 07-23-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Usually it's a pistol on the night stand. When my gut tells me I might need more, the 870's in C1, safety on. Kids are grown and gone, grandson lives in SoCal, so his visits are few and far between. Mrs. knows how to handle the shottie, just have to stay on her good side.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5502 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Full mag one in the chamber safety on. Same as the ar15 next to it and the pistols i carry.

Cuts down on remembering whats loaded with what. Eapecially at night when i may be sleepy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-23-2013 at 12:03 PM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #8

Liked 162 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 43

In locked metal gun cabinet, Moss 500, 4 in the tube(can hold 5, but only 4 to not over compress the spring),empty chamber, safety off, hidden key 7 ft high in secret place near my bed.I have kids that are 6 and 7 so I have to juggle safety of them possibly getting into it with safety of bring able to get to it quick enough to stop a threat.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

If I had time for the longarm, I'd rather use that time to put on my body armor and my electronic, stereo earmuffs. CCW your pistol in your home, folks. that 10 seconds or so that you 'think" you'll have to get your longarm, you wont have, most likely. Normally, you never have to fire, IF you get the gun pointed at them soon enough. Misses change a lot of minds, too. :-) Just imagine yourself being shot or stabbed, 4x per seond, and see if that 10 second run to get the longarm still seems to be ok with you. :-)

Last edited by bildee; 07-25-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1498 Times on 1015 Posts
Likes Given: 522

I have a maverick 88 with an extended magazine. I keep it loaded with 7 shots. I don't like to keep the magazine spring fully compressed.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato