Shotgun Cartridge Selection; CHOOSE THE 12 GAUGE!!! - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun Cartridge Selection; CHOOSE THE 12 GAUGE!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

I would differ on one point; The "rifling" on a shotgun slug does nothing to impart spin or stability. The "rifling" is to ease the slug through a choked barrel without raising pressures too high.

My own cast Foster (hollow base) slugs are just as accurate as factory loaded rifled slug. Slugs from a smooth bore barrel do not spin at all. The weight forward design is self stabilizing.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
I an NOT saying the .410 is the best choice--obviously the more power the better, but the widespread idea that a .410 is almost useless in self defense is just wrong--I for one would never volunteer to be shot by one.
There, enough said, sorry for the interuption...
Hell yes my friend! No question I would rather be shot with a .38 special ANY DAY! over 000 or a slug coming out of a .410, BUT I'd take about 3 of those slugs before I'd take 1 coming out of a 12 (or even 20) gauge.

However, the fact that the old .38 special (which is BTW on my top five list of favorite handgun/SD cartridges) or ANY handgun cartridge even came into this thread in order to defend the ballistics of the .410 speaks for itself. . .

The title of this thread was "Shotgun Cartridge Selection".

IMO The .410 is perfectly acceptable, maybe even ideal for self defense, but doesn't make much sense in regards to Home Defense.

To each their own. . .

Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

My opinion is if we are talking HOME DEFENSE, I want the biggest practical caliber/gauge I can get. This is in my home. I want an invader DEAD, NOW. I cannot risk my self or my family with something that probably will do the job. A 10 gauge would be better, but the ammo selection is not there. The 10 ga is primarily a waterfowl gun and most of the ammo available is geared toward that pursuit.

I have seen several people shot by 12 ga buckshot. They all drop like rocks. We had one shot with a 12 ga 1 oz slug at about 15 feet. He dropped faster than a rock. No exit. Complete devistation of the heart and BOTH lungs from one shot.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Dropped Like A Rock!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
My opinion is if we are talking HOME DEFENSE, I want the biggest practical caliber/gauge I can get. This is in my home. I want an invader DEAD, NOW. I cannot risk my self or my family with something that probably will do the job. A 10 gauge would be better, but the ammo selection is not there. The 10 ga is primarily a waterfowl gun and most of the ammo available is geared toward that pursuit.

I have seen several people shot by 12 ga buckshot. They all drop like rocks. We had one shot with a 12 ga 1 oz slug at about 15 feet. He dropped faster than a rock. No exit. Complete devistation of the heart and BOTH lungs from one shot.
I'm with you on this one. With the 3.5 Beneli Nova I have a wide veriety of ammo I can use. 3.5 mag. 00 buck!!!!! Come and Git it!!!!!!!