shotgun bore thing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun bore thing

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
SoL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default shotgun bore thing

good evening friends

i just recovered a lot of firearms from a deceased estate including a very nice old stevens shotgun, so old in fact that it is a "J Steven Arm & Tool co" apparently from 1880 or thereabouts, very nice toy.

Now a few of the shotguns i got have got a little surface rusting on the outside of the barrel and a little in the bore which i dont think is critical but it is making shell insertion sticky, which as i have experienced in the past will make removing them after firing damn near impossible.

is there a purpose made tool, maybe a steel brush or some kind of grinder head I can use to rout the chamber smooth? I've got a plastic 12 ga cleaning brush but its not cutting it, hence steel or something.
HELP HELP

Thanks

SoL

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #2

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

Get a bore mop or a bronze brush, wrap it with cloth until it's tight, and put some Semichrome or Flitz polish all over it, and then run it in the bore with a drill. Wipe out, look, and repeat as required. Some people use steel wool and oil, but I've had better luck with the polishes on the inside. Outside, 0000 Steel wool and WD-40 - gently.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #3

The virginian gave good advice. If the interneal buildup is severe, use the bronze brush alone, in short bursts. Soak with your choice of gun powder solvent each time.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 02-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Brownells has flex hones for shotguns. They are a little pricey at $50 + for one gauge, but are the cat's meow for making a chamber as smooth as a baby's behind.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Closed Thread