Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   shotgun barrels (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-barrels-92714/)

bowhunter17 06-23-2013 01:18 AM

shotgun barrels

For a single shot break action shotgun (12 ga) like the H&R ultra slug hunter, can I just buy a smoothbore barrel for it and switch between the smooth and rifle barrels quickly?

c3shooter 06-23-2013 02:50 AM

A RIFLE can be fitted with a shotgun barrel.

Do NOT try to put a rifle barrel on a SHOTGUN.

Metal is different on a rifle. Made for higher pressures. Usually fitted by a gunsmith (bad headspace can hurt you and give bad memories to folks that get spattered by your body fluids).

TexasGunner 06-23-2013 02:56 AM

I had a Rossi that was a 12 gauge/ 30.06 rifle combo. Not very expensive quick to convert. The 30.06 kicked the absolute **** out of my shoulder. Not worth it in my opinion. I cut the shotgun barrel down a bit for a home defense gun at that time. Now I don't use it for anything.

hiwall 06-23-2013 03:37 AM

C3 it is not about a rifle.
bowhunter17, I believe you have to have the extra barrel fitted or be lucky.

c3shooter 06-23-2013 04:56 AM

Hiwall- my bad- trying to skim too many posts quickly.

And as Hiwall said, yes, but get it fitted to the gun.

Axxe55 06-23-2013 05:09 AM

some of the H & R single shots had interchangeable barrels, but from what i have read in the past, they were fitted to the reciever. so from what i gather and have read, you can't just put another H & R barrel on it unless it's been fitted.

bowhunter17 06-23-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55
some of the H & R single shots had interchangeable barrels, but from what i have read in the past, they were fitted to the reciever. so from what i gather and have read, you can't just put another H & R barrel on it unless it's been fitted.

So if I got a rifled slug barrel and a smoothbore barrel fitted to the same receiver, would I be able to change between them quickly? Also, would a slug gun that is converted to a smoothbore be harder to use for shooting sporting clays because of the high cheek piece?

hiwall 06-23-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

would I be able to change between them quickly?
Yes
Quote:

be harder to use for shooting sporting clays
Maybe but it changes with each shooter.

bowhunter17 06-23-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55

How much does it usually cost to get a barrel fitted to a receiver?

hiwall 06-23-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

How much does it usually cost to get a barrel fitted to a receiver?
Buy another shotgun!