shot gun to rifle addaptor
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shot gun to rifle addaptor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default shot gun to rifle addaptor

Any one try the addaptor desinged to shoot anythin from a 22lr to 357 in a single shot shotgun. Thinking about getting A 20 ga to 9mm addaptor for my sons brake action. Seems like a good idea for plinking. And cheep too at 25 bucks. Cheeper that getting my son anouther rifle. And one that shoots cheep 9mm ammo to. Yes cheap is a theam for me. Only things I'm concerned about. Will it damage the shotgun or worst blow up in my kids face. And is it even legel

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I've never even seen one. Usually accuracy with that kind of thing goes out the window.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #3

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have seen and handled the rossi wizard which is similar to what you are talking about.

I have heard good and bad things about it.

Some say it was accurate and good for the money, some say its junk.

Its a hit and miss gun.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have collected and shot adapters for decades, so I do have some experence. The adapter designed and built by a company call Short Lane are excellent quality, however the first models ( the least expensive ) are not rifled. I tried a few of these out in different calibers and was highly disappointed. The handgun calibers fired from a 12 guage had an average accuracy of 5" clusters at 25 yards. Worse yet was the fact that an even half the bullets keyholed at 25 yards. Not worth the money in my book. However I hear they are now producing a rifled version, that I look forward to testing.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #5

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Accuracy is one issue, also the slow process of having to push the shells out of the adapter with a wood dowel or something similar. To reload you are holding the gun, the adapter, and the ejector device(dowel), three items with only two hands. If you mark the adapter so it is oriented the same in the shotgun chamber each shot you may increase consistency. More of a toy than something practical.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #6

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

might come in handy in a tight spot tho!!!

maybe like having a .410 double as a .44??? same difference.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #7

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I've thought about this. I can't envision when I'd want a .22 LR insert, let's say, for a 12 Ga. single or double barrel break-action shotgun. When would those be the guns I am constrained to use?

I have a few interesting arms for the assorted SHTF and EOTWAWKI survival situations more as an interest than any fear or even preparedness. The insert doesn't fit into any of my scenarios.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Adapters have been around for over 100 years with good results in many cases. While one respondant felt the most useless adapter would be a 12 guage x 22lr. I find mine, which is rifled, is my most used adapter. A handful of 22,s has sure came in handy finishing off wounded waterfowl flopping around, out of range of shot.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
Accuracy is one issue, also the slow process of having to push the shells out of the adapter with a wood dowel or something similar. To reload you are holding the gun, the adapter, and the ejector device(dowel), three items with only two hands. If you mark the adapter so it is oriented the same in the shotgun chamber each shot you may increase consistency. More of a toy than something practical.
For that much trouble I'd rather just buy a rifle in the caliber you want, sounds like a pain in the ass to me....

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 09-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
For that much trouble I'd rather just buy a rifle in the caliber you want, sounds like a pain in the ass to me....
Reading your reply and those of a few others brings to light a misconseption about these adapters. They are not and were never intended to be a replacement for any other gun. These neat little devices were intended to replace the need to carry a second gun. These were quite popular in Canada a century ago when handguns were and are illegal. The hunter of days past, would often spend months afield at a time, and found it very difficult to carry two rifles all the time. One large rifle for hunting large game and a 22 rifle to take your daily small game. Thus the adapter came onto the scene. A man out woods wandering with his 30-30, could also take small game with the same rifle using an adaper from 30-30 to 32 ACP. I carry an adapter from 30-06 to 32 ACP on all my big game hunts. When shooting a grouse or rabbit, the noise level is FAR less than a 22lr, thus not scaring every animal within a mile into instant flight. Some adapters work well while others are about useless. Finally finding a 250 Savage x 25 ACP adapter, after a decade of looking, I was sadly dissapointed. Just too much difference in bore diameter to be even 25 yard accurate. However pistol calibers of the same bullet diameter of the host caliber work well on rabbit sized game to 35 yards. I just got a 45-70 x 45 ACP adapter and am curious to checks its accuracy.