Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shooting skeet...LGC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts

Default shooting skeet...LGC

I've shot skeet casually before but never at a gun club. I understand the basic rules of skeet and of course I've read the club rules but they just cover the shot size, safety etc. I was wondering if anybody happens to be a member at Lafayette Gun Club or has shot skeet at a gun club before what should I expect? I was hoping to take my gf with me but we'd be sharing one gun. Is this possible to do? Will a shotgun range allow only two people to shoot if that's all that shows up?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Your best option is to give the club a call and make arrangements to visit. Then you can see what's going on, talk about range rules etc. There will be a lot of knowledgeable people there who could give you great advice and it will make your first shoot alot less nervy. You will shoot much better if you feel relaxed and will take in much more information.

Have fun

Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

The out door range I go to let's you share a gun if you want also the provide the Clays and throwers one throws one shoots. Stay safe that's the rules. I go there as often as I can with my buddy's.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #4

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

Most places I have been will allow you to share a gun for Skeet as long as they aren't real busy and you don't waste a lot of time with chit chat while swapping out. They want to encourage new shooters. If you are referring to the club in Grafton, Va. they were pretty decent folks when I went there if I remember right.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 641 Times on 505 Posts

are we talking the club over in hampton roads va?
its only clays and trap....if it is.
they closed the skeet range due to shot fall problems.
are you a member there?
i dont know lgc rules. but if all you have is 2, thats fine if youre the only ones at other clubs.

if you want to learn skeet, call me. im over in suffolk. i will teach you over at ft lee.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 04-20-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

the experience youll have at lgc is unique. most clubs are all different and have certain quirks and rules. the one thing that usually remains the same is safety and one shot at one bird....keep gun unloaded when not firing. thats pretty much it. public ranges tend to draw some weird people. but a club like lgc does as well, based solely on the fact that are thousands of members and at any given time, you never know who youll be shooting with on any given day. so just when you figure out the squad, next time will be a whole new crowd. rangemasters at lgc tend to have their own favorite rules. ive never had two act or run the line the same. so its sorta hail mary at best. id just go to the range on shoot day and ask them to brief you on how they want you to act. unlike firing lines, a clay range puts you in different angles and there is always a shifting 'downrange' line. make sure you know them.
youre going to experience an echo when you shoot the lgc range. be ready for it. it bounces off the cement walls. its going to be tuff using 1 gun since both of you cant stand in the same place when you shoot. you each shoot on a station. unless youre the only ones there. have fun!

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 04-20-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #7

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
the experience youll have at lgc is unique. most clubs are all different and have certain quirks and rules. the one thing that usually remains the same is safety and one shot at one bird....keep gun unloaded when not firing. thats pretty much it. public ranges tend to draw some weird people. but a club like lgc does as well, based solely on the fact that are thousands of members and at any given time, you never know who youll be shooting with on any given day. so just when you figure out the squad, next time will be a whole new crowd. rangemasters at lgc tend to have their own favorite rules. ive never had two act or run the line the same. so its sorta hail mary at best. id just go to the range on shoot day and ask them to brief you on how they want you to act. unlike firing lines, a clay range puts you in different angles and there is always a shifting 'downrange' line. make sure you know them.
youre going to experience an echo when you shoot the lgc range. be ready for it. it bounces off the cement walls. its going to be tuff using 1 gun since both of you cant stand in the same place when you shoot. you each shoot on a station. unless youre the only ones there. have fun!
We took turns running 25. It was easier that way. And I noticed the echo. But all in all it wasn't that bad and I enjoyed the experience. I actually went this morning before I read any of the messages on the forum

Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

thatll work too.
btw...remember, you didnt shoot skeet there. you shot clays. skeet is a whole different game. glad you had fun. if you ever decide you want to learn real trap or real skeet, just ask and i'll meet you at ft lee. then go back and whoop those old guys at lgc! cheers.

Retired Naval Aviation