Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Shell cutting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shell-cutting-43700/)

deathkricket 06-10-2011 04:31 AM

Shell cutting

Ok so this is new to me, you take a regular low brass target shell like the AA or the 100 rnd value pack they sell at Wal Mart, cut a deep line all the way around it about half way and when shot the shell breaks in half and performs like a slug. Now my question, if you take a shell and hold it to the end of the barrel you will see it is much larger around so by doing this i am pretty sure you are getting pressure spikes due to the fact you are pretty much clogging your barrel and then forcing the half of the shell out. While i dont think i will ever try it i would like to hear some thoughts on this.

freefall 06-10-2011 05:48 AM

I have heard of this but never understood the appeal of actually doing it.:confused:

spittinfire 06-10-2011 10:51 AM

You can buy a 15rd box of slugs for $8 at walmart.

warhawk77 06-10-2011 11:07 AM

That does sound cool. Not sure I would be doing it but in a pinch it is a good option

c3shooter 06-10-2011 02:28 PM

Dafes from the time when slugs were not available. Please do not try this with anything but a cylinder bore shotgun- even with that, it is not a REAL good idea.

Hawg 06-10-2011 03:46 PM

I don't think it would be as bad as forcing a slug down a full choke barrel. I used to do that when I was a kid till I bulged one.

robocop10mm 06-11-2011 01:07 PM

Shooting modern rifled slugs in a modern full choked barrel is not likely to cause any sort of problem. If you bulged a barrel with a slug, there must have been some very unusual circumstances to do so.

The "rifling" on a slug does not make it spin. It allows the slug to swage down to bore diameter safely. Using a "cut shell" in a full choke is FAR more likely to cause a problem than a rifled slug.

Hawg 06-12-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 521182)
Shooting modern rifled slugs in a modern full choked barrel is not likely to cause any sort of problem. If you bulged a barrel with a slug, there must have been some very unusual circumstances to do so.

The "rifling" on a slug does not make it spin. It allows the slug to swage down to bore diameter safely. Using a "cut shell" in a full choke is FAR more likely to cause a problem than a rifled slug.

2 3/4" shell, 2 1/2" chamber. Cheap turn of the century shotgun. I shot about 4 boxes one day and when I got home and cleaned it I noticed the bulge.

robocop10mm 06-13-2011 12:08 PM

With that combination it is very fortunate you did not do something far worse than a bulge.

Sonnypie 06-14-2011 03:32 AM

I can't see why I would ever want to do this. :confused:
And my sawed off blows a lot tighter pattern than "Berry's" did. I blame it on the plastic wads common today.
I have #8's as my house load. And a passel of 00 buckshot as well.
I always teach that if you need to use your home defense firearm, use it until the twitch is all gone. No matter how many times you need to reload. ;)