Semi-Auto defense shotgun thoughts - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Semi-Auto defense shotgun thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
What is your budget for this shotgun. There are a lot of guns that meet your criteria. But we need a max price to make usable suggestions.
My budget is more defined by how much I want to put into a weapon that I won't shoot much...with a handgun, I shoot it and enjoy shooting it even if it sits on my nightstand. With a shotgun, home defense type, it will be shot enough to familiarize myself with it but is not a gun that I shoot for the joy of shooting it...if that makes sense. I'd like to keep my spend under $500 if possible. Pump shotgun is not going to work...must be an autoloader.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

FN SLP if you can get one

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #13

Liked 2848 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
My 930 runs light target loads with no problem from day one.
mine as well....but i read somewhere you should run some more powerful shells through first and you will get better results.....so i have always run 20 buckshot or so, and then went to the cheap target loads. the only malfunction i ever had were with winchester target loads, in mine the federal target shells run all day and then some. my buddy who has a benelli was kinda pissed, as he paid more and his benelli won't cycle target rounds well....but his benelli is a smooth shooter for sure....

Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #14

Liked 2848 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

would this be something to consider...if 20 gauge is your choice?

the only thing i didn't like is it is made in turkey. i try to do the usa thing. i think the 930 is still made int the US?

http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotguns/autoloading/mossberg-international-sa-20

Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1586 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 548

If you don't plan on shooting the gun why would you want it for SD? Buckshot doesn't spread as rapidly as people think. In the confines of your home the pattern won't be much larger than your hand.

You can shoot skeet with SD shotguns and they don't do bad. A few shots are out of range. After a couple rounds of skeet you will know which stands to skip. You will get plenty of practice shooting targets coming at you and going away from you. Plus you will be able to shoot all the doubles. No one should complain as long as you are doing something constructive.

You might make some new friends and find a fun game you enjoy. If you ever have to use the gun SD it will be familiar to your hands.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #16

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Maybe keep an eye open for a good used Police trade in like the Beretta 1201FP. I have had mine for about 20 years now that I bought new. It a great HD gun just as it comes. Same inertia action as the Benelli M1 Super 90.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Mouser Likes This