Semi-Auto defense shotgun thoughts
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Semi-Auto defense shotgun thoughts

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Now residing in Lower Alabama
Posts: 283
Liked 117 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Default Semi-Auto defense shotgun thoughts

In your opinions...what is the best value in a semi-auto, high capacity defense shotgun...that is low cost, high reliability and low maintenance.

By low maintenance, I mean a finish that is resistant to the elements, corrosion etc..

__________________

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Mouser is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,779
Liked 2144 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 776

Default

http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotguns/autoloading/mossberg-930-special-purpose
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
hawkguy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 8,406
Liked 7170 Times on 3924 Posts
Likes Given: 14540

Default

Saiga !

__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,056
Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1879

Default

+1!

i have a 930 (home security model).....it was a bit over $500 (w/tax) out the door. not high capacity (5), but that is remedied with a tube extension if you wish. and unlike the high dollar bennelis, my mossberg eats cheap target loads very well, which is another relief to the pocket book.
__________________

Last edited by hawkguy; 11-16-2013 at 02:51 PM.
hawkguy is offline  
Mouser Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,081
Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default

The Mosberg 930 is a good shotgun, once broken in. Many folks have problems with low energy loads at first, but that seems to become less of an issue once the gun has a couple hundred rounds through it.

I would seriously consider the Remington 11-87P. It seems to be even more forgiving of ammo variables.

WTS, I have a Saiga that will eat ANYTHING. I got mine cheap several years ago, but the "converted" ones are very pricey these days.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Now residing in Lower Alabama
Posts: 283
Liked 117 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Default

The shotgun would be a home defense weapon and likely to be confined to use in doors...so I was considering a 20ga so as to get my wife to practice a bit with it...if I remember, a 3" magnum in 20ga is the equivalent to a hi velocity 12 ga load...you thoughts?

I have an 11-87 I use for hunting, but I think it is a bit expensive for a gun that will not see much use...so the Mossberg sounds like a good option so far from what you all have said

__________________

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Mouser is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,779
Liked 2144 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 776

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The Mosberg 930 is a good shotgun, once broken in. Many folks have problems with low energy loads at first, but that seems to become less of an issue once the gun has a couple hundred rounds through it.

I would seriously consider the Remington 11-87P. It seems to be even more forgiving of ammo variables.

WTS, I have a Saiga that will eat ANYTHING. I got mine cheap several years ago, but the "converted" ones are very pricey these days.
My 930 runs light target loads with no problem from day one.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
hawkguy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,353
Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
The shotgun would be a home defense weapon and likely to be confined to use in doors...so I was considering a 20ga so as to get my wife to practice a bit with it...if I remember, a 3" magnum in 20ga is the equivalent to a hi velocity 12 ga load...you thoughts?

I have an 11-87 I use for hunting, but I think it is a bit expensive for a gun that will not see much use...so the Mossberg sounds like a good option so far from what you all have said
If you're going to use a magnum 20 gauge load to make it like a 12 ga. Why not just stick with the 12 and use standard loads? Not much recoil reduction from 12 to 20 anyway from the semi-autos I've played with.
__________________

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 11-17-2013 at 12:32 AM.
SSGN_Doc is offline  
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orlando_marquez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 150
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I use the Mossberg 930 SPX for work/HD. The only issue I have is that I prefer a shorter stock. Mechanically, it runs just fine. Loads 7+1+1 ghost loaded.

3 lowest prices I've seen were $549, $649, and $669.

forumrunner_20131117_213203.jpg

__________________

Last edited by orlando_marquez; 11-18-2013 at 02:58 AM.
orlando_marquez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,187
Liked 1614 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
In your opinions...what is the best value in a semi-auto, high capacity defense shotgun...that is low cost, high reliability and low maintenance.

By low maintenance, I mean a finish that is resistant to the elements, corrosion etc..
What is your budget for this shotgun. There are a lot of guns that meet your criteria. But we need a max price to make usable suggestions.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Any thoughts on the Norinco JW-15A Semi-Auto 22LR Rifle rmsmith76 General Rifle Discussion 6 05-22-2013 07:05 AM
Best semi auto for self defense? navysully General Shotgun Discussion 34 09-15-2012 02:52 PM
Best first semi-auto for home defense 3spur Semi-Auto Handguns 39 05-28-2012 01:17 AM
First semi auto shotgun? 270 win General Shotgun Discussion 14 01-06-2010 01:33 AM
Semi-Auto Shotgun UltraLazer General Shotgun Discussion 0 08-01-2007 03:36 PM