Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Semi-Auto defense shotgun thoughts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/semi-auto-defense-shotgun-thoughts-100401/)

Mouser 11-16-2013 02:34 PM

Semi-Auto defense shotgun thoughts

In your opinions...what is the best value in a semi-auto, high capacity defense shotgun...that is low cost, high reliability and low maintenance.

By low maintenance, I mean a finish that is resistant to the elements, corrosion etc..

ScottA 11-16-2013 02:37 PM

http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotguns/autoloading/mossberg-930-special-purpose

MisterMcCool 11-16-2013 02:39 PM

Saiga !

hawkguy 11-16-2013 02:49 PM

+1!

i have a 930 (home security model).....it was a bit over $500 (w/tax) out the door. not high capacity (5), but that is remedied with a tube extension if you wish. and unlike the high dollar bennelis, my mossberg eats cheap target loads very well, which is another relief to the pocket book.

robocop10mm 11-16-2013 08:25 PM

The Mosberg 930 is a good shotgun, once broken in. Many folks have problems with low energy loads at first, but that seems to become less of an issue once the gun has a couple hundred rounds through it.

I would seriously consider the Remington 11-87P. It seems to be even more forgiving of ammo variables.

WTS, I have a Saiga that will eat ANYTHING. I got mine cheap several years ago, but the "converted" ones are very pricey these days.

Mouser 11-16-2013 09:23 PM

The shotgun would be a home defense weapon and likely to be confined to use in doors...so I was considering a 20ga so as to get my wife to practice a bit with it...if I remember, a 3" magnum in 20ga is the equivalent to a hi velocity 12 ga load...you thoughts?

I have an 11-87 I use for hunting, but I think it is a bit expensive for a gun that will not see much use...so the Mossberg sounds like a good option so far from what you all have said

ScottA 11-17-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1433270)
The Mosberg 930 is a good shotgun, once broken in. Many folks have problems with low energy loads at first, but that seems to become less of an issue once the gun has a couple hundred rounds through it.

I would seriously consider the Remington 11-87P. It seems to be even more forgiving of ammo variables.

WTS, I have a Saiga that will eat ANYTHING. I got mine cheap several years ago, but the "converted" ones are very pricey these days.

My 930 runs light target loads with no problem from day one.

SSGN_Doc 11-17-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 1433335)
The shotgun would be a home defense weapon and likely to be confined to use in doors...so I was considering a 20ga so as to get my wife to practice a bit with it...if I remember, a 3" magnum in 20ga is the equivalent to a hi velocity 12 ga load...you thoughts?

I have an 11-87 I use for hunting, but I think it is a bit expensive for a gun that will not see much use...so the Mossberg sounds like a good option so far from what you all have said

If you're going to use a magnum 20 gauge load to make it like a 12 ga. Why not just stick with the 12 and use standard loads? Not much recoil reduction from 12 to 20 anyway from the semi-autos I've played with.

orlando_marquez 11-18-2013 02:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use the Mossberg 930 SPX for work/HD. The only issue I have is that I prefer a shorter stock. Mechanically, it runs just fine. Loads 7+1+1 ghost loaded.

3 lowest prices I've seen were $549, $649, and $669.

Attachment 126330

John_Deer 11-18-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouser (Post 1433022)
In your opinions...what is the best value in a semi-auto, high capacity defense shotgun...that is low cost, high reliability and low maintenance.

By low maintenance, I mean a finish that is resistant to the elements, corrosion etc..

What is your budget for this shotgun. There are a lot of guns that meet your criteria. But we need a max price to make usable suggestions.