Semi auto for around 1k
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Semi auto for around 1k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Default Semi auto for around 1k

I'm thinking of finally treating myself to a new shotgun. I've kinda narrowed it down but if anyone else has others to mention please throw them in!!!

Rem versa max... Nice gun.. Any reviews?
Beretta 391AL.. Solid with high rep... Just a bit over my price range but maybe it can work...
I like benelli as a company and know they make good guns but which are better models?

FYI this will be used for trap and skeet with the occasional slugs session...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
I'm thinking of finally treating myself to a new shotgun. I've kinda narrowed it down but if anyone else has others to mention please throw them in!!!

Beretta 391AL.. Solid with high rep... Just a bit over my price range but maybe it can work...
I like benelli as a company and know they make good guns but which are better models?

my gun dealer really likes the Remington Versa Max and says it's one dang good shotgun for bird hunting.

the Beretta 391, have never heard anything bad about them, but they are a little pricy.

personally i am more blued steel and walnut kind of guy and am looking for an older Winchester or Remington semi auto shotgun.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #3

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I like these as far as semi's go...

Might not be your thing though...

Plus you could be called 'Gecko45' if you brought it to a skeet shoot.

Saiga 12

highres_7183948.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:

Benelli's M2 American would be a good choice and close to your budget.

For a more classic style, check out Benelli's Montefeltro. I own a 20 ga. Monty, it is fun to shoot.

The Super Black Eagle is an excellent multi-purpose shotgun, I use mine primarily for turkey hunting.

Other options, Browning's Gold Hunter, Silver Hunter or the new A5.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #5

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

I do not like any inertia (Benelli), or long recoil action, but that's just me. With the right loads they usually do work, and run clean. The gas operated actions are more likely to function well across the full range of loads they are advertised to shoot, especially on the light end, and they soften recoil without two-piece stocks and such.
Both guns you listed are good guns, but quite different feeling. I would suggest you handle them and go with whichever gun fits you best. Good luck.
When people say they want a gun for trap and skeet, I get the feeling they are talking hand tossed backyard clay pigeons, or they are just starting out. Genuine Trap and Skeet are very different games with wildly differing target presentations, and getting one gun for both is not going to be ideal, and you don't need a 3-1/2" chamber for that, or slugs. Get a field or skeet gun with interchangable choke tubes and it will work far better for trap than the other way around. I'd go with a Remington, but not the VersaMax in this scenario. But the Beretta will certainly work fine.

What could have happened... did.

Last edited by Virginian; 07-10-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

The thing is I will use it for 90%trap right now but would like to try skeet soon.. Just can't do that with my pump shotgun..

And no I don't do hand tossed pigeons in my back yard.. I got to a real full trap and skeet range about an hr from my house..

U say u would take the Remington but not the versa... Is the versa not good?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5679 Times on 2966 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I like these as far as semi's go...

Might not be your thing though...

Plus you could be called 'Gecko45' if you brought it to a skeet shoot.

Saiga 12
Lol call me gecko...

Even use an rds.

Anyway the saiga is very heavy. Wouldnt care to swing that thing every day doing clays. Im not a very good clay shooter but i did have a marked improvment in my ability to bust them with the saiga over my SxS.

I AM going to take it to a trap shoot at some point just to see the reactions of the old geezer clay shooters heh

If i was going to pick a semi auto claygun it would be a montifeltro very very light very fast cyclic action very good recoil reduction. Ive shot my dad's montifeltro and its much better than anything else semiauto out there

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-10-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #8

The montefeltro is nice but im not to big on the wood look.. It doesn't seem like they make one in synthetic black..

I think I'm leaning toward the beretta 391al.. It feels nice. Has some wight to keep the felt recoil down, and is gas driven with a self cleaning system..

What's a good price I should be looking on this gun? I think my local dicks store had it for 1075..

Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5679 Times on 2966 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
The montefeltro is nice but im not to big on the wood look.. It doesn't seem like they make one in synthetic black..

I think I'm leaning toward the beretta 391al.. It feels nice. Has some wight to keep the felt recoil down, and is gas driven with a self cleaning system..

What's a good price I should be looking on this gun? I think my local dicks store had it for 1075..
The m3 or m4 same basic action as the montefeltro

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #10

Yeah that's not looking to bad.. Gotta start researching some prices now..