Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Semi auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/semi-auto-55703/)

gunny134 01-17-2012 11:30 PM

Semi auto

Who makes good AMERICAN made semi automatic shotguns for around $400-$500?

jpattersonnh 01-17-2012 11:52 PM

Your Source for Mossberg Shotguns - shotgunwarehouse.com

It is in the top 5 in the world behind Benelli and Beretta.

Gatoragn 01-17-2012 11:54 PM

Not many new American choices in that price range.

Might pick up a used Remington, Winchester or Mossberg for that.

Buckethead47 01-18-2012 01:20 PM

I'm looking at the new versa max by remington. It's 1300 but I've been hearing nothing bit good things about that gun. Your able to put any round in that gun with less parts which means less stuff to break untruth making the gun more reliable.

007BondJamesBond007 01-18-2012 01:43 PM

There not much out there for that price range for a US made shotgun except the Mossberg new. You can find lots of used US made autoloaders. A new Remington 1100 MSRP is over $1,ooo. My wife and I both own Benelli's and they were over $1,200 for mine hers was $1,600.

Hookeye 01-18-2012 05:34 PM

I bought a decent mechanical (but carried a lot) Remington 1100 for $280.
$30 can of Gunkote and some elbow grease and the thing will look pretty good.

I'm not hip on the swapping all sorts of loads within a gun thing.

I have my 3.5" 870 and my 3" and 2 3/4" 1100's.

I like having 3 guns instead of one :)

Buckethead47 01-18-2012 08:42 PM

right now my 870 is my everything gun. 2 3/4 slugs for deer 3 for goose 3 1/2 for snow goose. if i could i would have multiple guns. but i like the versa max because of the way it works. and i want the semi auto for bird hunting. i am able to focus more on the birds instead of reloading.

AARguy 01-20-2012 06:00 AM

Shotgun

It depends what you want to use the shotgun for. My main concern is personal protection so I started with a Mossberg 930. It comes with a 7+1 capacity, embedded Picatinny Rail, ghost sights, and more. I've decked it out somewhat with a piggy back rounds carrier, larger charging handle, barrel/magazine brace and some other things, but there are not yet a lot of after market options. I paid $499 when it first came out. I understand its a little more expensive now, due in large part to having been chosen as the NRA's "Shotgun of the Year". It's reliable, accurate, and eats any sort of ammo you care to feed it.

I also have a Mossberg 500 that I bought in the "3-in-1" configuration for $379. It's a great deal, comes with two barrels and a pistol grip is also included. I keep it in the pistol grip "cruiser" configuration with the pistol grip installed and the provided stock removed. I've added a folding stock (above barrel) that accommodates a piggy back. I've also added a heat shield with built-in ghost sights. If I do ever want to go hunting its a simple matter of changing barrels (about a ten second task)... and I'm off and running. There are LOTS of after market options.

I like Mossberg. So does the US military. I saw lots of them in Iraq and understand there was a recent military contract for almost 14,000 Mossberg 590's. I figure that if Mossberg is good enough for the life and death environment of combat, its more than adequate for anything I might ever need it for.

Now... if you are after pheasant... that's a whole different matter...

Virginian 01-20-2012 11:07 AM

Nothing against Mossberg, but don't go believing government contracts prove anything. That's what gets us Interstates that have to have the ramps repaired before they're even opened and $800 toilet seats. There is nothing wrong with the 590, but no one else bid on that contract. I don't know all the reasons why.