scabbard or just sling it across my back?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > scabbard or just sling it across my back?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default scabbard or just sling it across my back?

i recently got a hogue pistol grip for my pardner pump, i'm gonna use it hiking and camping in the woods for protection. i put a nice padded sling on it and it rides nice across my back, but i have seen some scabbards on ebay and have wondered about them. would they make it easier to carry my gun?, and how good are they about carrying and are they durable? i've never seen nobody with one and thought i would ask, i've also thought of the price which is $30-50 and thats alot of ammo there too, since my sling works good but if the scabbard would be better i'll probably get it. thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Why complicate things? If the sling works the scabbard just adds an extra step to presenting the weapon.
Imo I would buy ammo.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #3

A scabbard is a glorified sling. As fall as your chest feels, it will feel the same, Scabbards are more useful when carrying a backpack and you want your long gun attached, not necessarily instantly obtainable, as it would reside on your back but on top of you pack.

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You have a sling now. I like slings because it helps me suport the gun and I get a more firm grip on the gun. When hunting I have a pack and my gun and I carry it with the sling. And my .02 on the pistol grip. If I encountered a bear on my trip into the woods I would rather have the increased aiming capability over the harder to aim pistol grip. Also if for what ever reason I miss, I would like to be able to have the quicker fallow up shot as well. Hell has no furry like momma bear protecting her cubs. if I remember correctly, thats why you wanted the gun.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp