Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > sawing off shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #41
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2131 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Shooter,

I would recomend contacting someone there in your area at a local tool and machine company. Take the Barrel off and have them cut it. As far as one thing to consider is the length that you cut it will need to be so that one of the support bases for your vented rib still remains at the very end of the cut off section. Otherwise you will have a part of the vented rib unsupported and sticking out. Which first of all will look like Cr--p! It would look like a diving board sticking out there in mid air! And secondly would not support a front sight with stability. As long as the overall length of the barrel measured from end to end is 18" you are perfectly legal. However, I would not cut it less than 18.5 " if the cut in the vented rib allows you to cut there. The rib will dictate for the biggest part where you cut! And as mentioned the choke will be gone it will be a cylinder bore!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #42
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1646 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 527

What is the big deal? Most tactical/defense shotguns are cylinder bore. They are meant to be used close up not 50 yards out except with a slug. The barrel I had on my Mossberg was cylinder bore as is the barrel on my Novi.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugo View Post
maybe we should rename this forum, MoronsTalk.com
good comment since it has nothing to do with the forum topic. next time dont waste your time in posting anything if your going to waste peoples time in posting something stupid like that.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #44

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
What is the big deal? Most tactical/defense shotguns are cylinder bore. They are meant to be used close up not 50 yards out except with a slug. The barrel I had on my Mossberg was cylinder bore as is the barrel on my Novi.
I agree everybody keeps talking about me losing my choke...who cares! A single shot or tactical has no choke so why does it matter as long as it shoots staright im not dove hunting with it. Its just my toy! I just wanted to experement ive always wanted to have a sawed off shotgun and ive always wanted to b a gunsmith plus if i decided i wanted a choke ill take and have it threaded for one its no big deal and who cares about the vent rib! Its so easy to take off! all i was worried about was a straight and clean cut and the cut looks exactly like barrell on my single shot remington 12 ga. So im happy

Old 12-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #45

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

The barrell is legal i can drop a rod down the barrell with no shell in it and mark it at the end of the barrell and pull it out and it measures 18 7/8"

Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #46

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88
The barrell is legal i can drop a rod down the barrell with no shell in it and mark it at the end of the barrell and pull it out and it measures 18 7/8"
That's how you do it, measure from the bolt face.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #47

You'll be fine... To cut it, use your airplane clamp and a piece of angle iron as a guide. Then after you have the cutting done, go over it with a flat bastard file (clean the teeth before you put it to the barrel) then use your thumb and a piece of 320 grit sand paper. Make a twisting motion back and forth till it looks really smooth, then do the same thing with green scotchbrite, then red scotchbrite. After the red scotch brite it will look ALMOST mirror like with a haze, that haze is actually very fine scratches, they will give your blueing a good surface to bond to. do your blueing in very thin layers, but do many, till you reach the right "depth" of color.
Hope some of that helped you out a bit.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #48

excellent job and good info here, i too am looking to shorten up a 88, making it a dedicated home defense weapon.
it has the 29" barrel, (unless someone wants to trade for a 18.5 barrel)
cutting is not a problem i have power tools.
measuring is my question
what i want to do is drill a few compensating holes
now, is it measured from bolt to where the projectile exits the barrel?
or from bolt to where the first set of compensating holes exist?
for example 20" barrel with 3 inches of compensation actually a 17" barrel or is it still a 20" barrel?
thanks for the info?

Old 04-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtruitt1971 View Post
excellent job and good info here, i too am looking to shorten up a 88, making it a dedicated home defense weapon.
it has the 29" barrel, (unless someone wants to trade for a 18.5 barrel)
cutting is not a problem i have power tools.
measuring is my question
what i want to do is drill a few compensating holes
now, is it measured from bolt to where the projectile exits the barrel?
or from bolt to where the first set of compensating holes exist?
for example 20" barrel with 3 inches of compensation actually a 17" barrel or is it still a 20" barrel?
thanks for the info?
Holes the barrel length changeth not. If you have a 10" barrel with an 8" extension, holed, slotted, whatever, that is PERMANENTLY attached (e.g., welded) to the end of the barrel) to the end of the barrel, you have an 18" barrel.

There is a company that sells a 10" barrel for the 10/22 that has a 6" shroud, much like a PPSH barrel shroud, welded to the end of the barrel. The intent is to screw your suppressor to the end of the barrel. The suppressor is "concealed" by the shroud, appearing to be the "rest" of the barrel. Bottom line is that you have a legal 16" rifle barrel with only a 10" barrel.

Regards,

Walt

Author, NEW! The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and Owner's Guides
Certified Glock Armorer

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #50

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I cut my barrel of and grouping is still great I shoot a lot of clays with it

forumrunner_20130421_001958.jpg