Sawed off shotgun laws
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Sawed off shotgun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Sawed off shotgun laws

A sawed off shotgun is legal in Ohio (18.5") but something that is fuzzy to me, and I think this is pretty much national (except in that state that starts with a C and ends in "sh^$%") so don't let the state fool you. Does a sawed off need a front bead sight to be considered legal? Mine is a break action single shotgun, model 37 winchester and a few months ago I sawed it off to 18.5".

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Last edited by molonlabexx; 03-26-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

whether it has a sight, or bead has nothing to do with it being legal as far as i know. the barrel length and OAL are your main concerns per BATF regulations, but some states may have other restrictions.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 AM   #3

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

^^^^Correct. Sight doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
whether it has a sight, or bead has nothing to do with it being legal as far as i know. the barrel length and OAL are your main concerns per BATF regulations, but some states may have other restrictions.
I meet the requirements for length but I always thought you had to have a bead sight or some sort of front sight for it to be legal. I KNOW I saw this somewhere but can't recall where, That would be awesome if I don;t need it, because I don;t have it. So far I have kept the gun locked up because if it didn't have the bead on it, it would be "illegal". So hopefully I don't need it!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 03-26-2014, 02:26 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Upon further research, I technically do not have a sawed off, even though I took a hack saw to the barrel, if it is over 18" it is just a shotgun (and the 26" overall. So I guess I just have a shotgun. My my I have learned so much tonight....