Savings?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Savings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savings?

I found a new Maverick 12 gauge for sale at my favorite local gunshops $160.50 with tax.

It has 1 barrel and a plastic stock it looks like a good start.

I would like to add a pistol grip,barrel shroud,side saddle,fore grip & pump handle,picatinney rail with Red or Green Dot, a cruiser lenghth barrel and a slug barrel.

Am I saving $$$ by buying and upgrading a bare bones gun?

I need someone not so emotionally envolved to be more objective voice.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Sounds to me the only original part left after you upgrade will be the receiver and trigger group. Why not just start there and add what you really want? Or find a beat to hell used gun that you can rebuild. Your initial cost will be lower that way.

Mossberg sells similar models factory new for $300 or so. Check out Buds Online.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You're starting with $170 shotgun and going to put probably $300-$400 into it.

I would shop around used or look for what you really want and see what that price tags at out the door.

Buying cheap and upgrading rarely works out in your favor in the long run, unless you come across a screaming deal on a good platform gun with a wealth of aftermarket parts (like an 870 for $125).

JD

Old 05-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Well for one thing the Maverick 88's barrels are compatible with Mossberg 500 model barrels within gauge and capacity.

The choke tubes are interchangeable with Mossberg Accu-Choke tubes.

Maverick 88 model barrels are equipped with 3" chambers and handle factory 2¾" and 3" loads.

That price seams good if it includes tax.

If you want to buy a PD shotgun and enjoy accessorizing it, the Maverick would be a good (inexpensive) one.

My personal preference runs to the Ithaca Model 37 Defense Shotgun.

I'm old school but you knew that.

ithaca_37_defense_gun.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Well for one thing the Maverick 88's barrels are compatible with Mossberg 500 model barrels within gauge and capacity.

The choke tubes are interchangeable with Mossberg Accu-Choke tubes.

Maverick 88 model barrels are equipped with 3" chambers and handle factory 2¾" and 3" loads.

That price seams good if it includes tax.

If you want to buy a PD shotgun and enjoy accessorizing it, the Maverick would be a good (inexpensive) one.

My personal preference runs to the Ithaca Model 37 Defense Shotgun.

I'm old school but you knew that.
canebrake yes that price includes tax and it comes with a field & slug
barrels.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")