Saving up for a savage 220
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Saving up for a savage 220

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 227
Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Default Saving up for a savage 220

I'm saving up for a savage 220 20 gauge slug gun. I need advice on scopes and other accessories. Does a 20 gauge slug kick hard enough that I need a scope that can handle slugs or can I put a Simmons 8-point on it? The gun itself weighs 7.5 pounds and most regular 20 gauge shotguns rarely push 7 pounds. Basically; is 3" of eye relief enough?

Can the 220 be loaded through the breech or is it exclusively a mag-fed gun?

Will savage 110 mounts fit?

Thanks guys!

__________________
cva209x50 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,099
Liked 2001 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 763

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva209x50 View Post
I'm saving up for a savage 220 20 gauge slug gun. I need advice on scopes and other accessories. Does a 20 gauge slug kick hard enough that I need a scope that can handle slugs or can I put a Simmons 8-point on it? The gun itself weighs 7.5 pounds and most regular 20 gauge shotguns rarely push 7 pounds. Basically; is 3" of eye relief enough?

Can the 220 be loaded through the breech or is it exclusively a mag-fed gun?

Will savage 110 mounts fit?

Thanks guys!
I would call savage they have a mount fitment chart. They will also know how much eye relief is optimum. I had a Simmons eight point 4x fixed power scope on my 12 ga slug gun. The scope is still working, it is mounted on my 10/22 today. I like the BSA shotgun scope. It is weather/fog proof. Parallax is just perfect for a shotgun. The BSA scope has a lifetime warranty. I broke a cheaper BSA shotgun scope. I sent a $10 check and the broke scope and got a much nicer scope.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato


Last edited by John_Deer; 04-26-2014 at 06:51 AM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Virginian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Evangeline,Louisiana
Posts: 876
Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

Default

Any decent non-rimfire rifle scope should handle the recoil from any shotgun. 3" of eye relief should be gracious plenty.

__________________

What could have happened... did.

Virginian is offline  
kfox75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 227
Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would call savage they have a mount fitment chart. They will also know how much eye relief is optimum. I had a Simmons eight point 4x fixed power scope on my 12 ga slug gun. The scope is still working, it is mounted on my 10/22 today. I like the BSA shotgun scope. It is weather/fog proof. Parallax is just perfect for a shotgun. The BSA scope has a lifetime warranty. I broke a cheaper BSA shotgun scope. I sent a $10 check and the broke scope and got a much nicer scope.
I'm thinking about getting the tasco world class 3-9x40 scope with the mil-dot reticle. I used to prefer tasco for "economy" scopes. I now prefer Simmons but I will use just about anything. If I get a mil dot scope, I'm going to sight it in at 50 yards and learn how to use the mil dots out to 150 yards.
__________________
cva209x50 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,099
Liked 2001 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 763

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva209x50 View Post
I'm thinking about getting the tasco world class 3-9x40 scope with the mil-dot reticle. I used to prefer tasco for "economy" scopes. I now prefer Simmons but I will use just about anything. If I get a mil dot scope, I'm going to sight it in at 50 yards and learn how to use the mil dots out to 150 yards.
I would look at a ballistic chart for 20 ga sabots before I bought that scope. My 12 ga shoots a 300 gr sabot like a rifle. Your gun needs to have a rifled barrel to shoot sabots properly.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hookeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 898
Liked 289 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I'd slap a 2-7X Leupold on it and be done.
It's what my deer rifle (.35 remington) wears. 2x is pretty sweet in the woods.

Low power makes movers easy.

In trying to save a few bucks now, you might actually save a few bucks later

So..................just how much is a trophy buck worth?

Figuring in vacation time, gas, maybe lease costs, complaints from the old lady why you're gone so much.........I wouldn't buy a cheap scope.

Have seen many a cheapy fail. Why anybody would risk such a thing, esp if they had big bucks on their hunting ground......is beyond me. But then, even does and smaller bucks deserve a humane death and optics can fail and cause poor hits. Don't scrimp.

BTW, 3" is considered the threshold in many camps. The old Simmons Pro Hunter variables were 2.5" and some folks got branded by 'em. Even a 3" will bite you if you don't mount it right (seen that a zillion times too). I set mine so that at max power (shortest eye relief) I have to lean in a bit to get the image right.

__________________

Last edited by Hookeye; 04-28-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Hookeye is offline  
RKB Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 227
Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
I'd slap a 2-7X Leupold on it and be done.
It's what my deer rifle (.35 remington) wears. 2x is pretty sweet in the woods.

Low power makes movers easy.

In trying to save a few bucks now, you might actually save a few bucks later

So..................just how much is a trophy buck worth?

Figuring in vacation time, gas, maybe lease costs, complaints from the old lady why you're gone so much.........I wouldn't buy a cheap scope.

Have seen many a cheapy fail. Why anybody would risk such a thing, esp if they had big bucks on their hunting ground......is beyond me. But then, even does and smaller bucks deserve a humane death and optics can fail and cause poor hits. Don't scrimp.

BTW, 3" is considered the threshold in many camps. The old Simmons Pro Hunter variables were 2.5" and some folks got branded by 'em. Even a 3" will bite you if you don't mount it right (seen that a zillion times too). I set mine so that at max power (shortest eye relief) I have to lean in a bit to get the image right.
I'm thinking about the Cabela's EXT shotgun scope and a champion or Winchester Bipod. The meadow I deer hunt in during youth weekend (i'm 16) has a hill on one end and if you lay prone on that hill, you can cover the majority of the meadow from that one spot.
__________________
cva209x50 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #8
RKB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 212
Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Default

[QUOTE=Hookeye;1567079]I'd slap a 2-7X Leupold on it and be done.
It's what my deer rifle (.35 remington) wears. 2x is pretty sweet in the woods.

Low power makes movers easy.

In trying to save a few bucks now, you might actually save a few bucks later

So..................just how much is a trophy buck worth?

Figuring in vacation time, gas, maybe lease costs, complaints from the old lady why you're gone so much.........I wouldn't buy a cheap scope.

Have seen many a cheapy fail. Why anybody would risk such a thing, esp if they had big bucks on their hunting ground......is beyond me. But then, even does and smaller bucks deserve a humane death and optics can fail and cause poor hits. Don't scrimp.

QUOTE]
Hookeye, you are SO right.
Your scope should cost at least as much - or more - than your shotgun. (Same logic with a good rifle). You get what you pay for in optics. Leupold is the Gold Standard in this country, for good reason - it earns it. Would you want to lose the trophy of a lifetime because your cheap 'economy' scope fails? Fogs up? Loses focus? Reticle drifts off zero? Seen all of those happen.
Even on my varmint rifle, that holds true, even varmints deserve a clean kill. Being in Europe with a strong US dollar in the '80's I kind of went overboard, bought an 8x56 Schmidt und Bender 30mm tube for my .222 for the price of an equivalent Leupold. Awesome optics! Dusk looks like bright daylight - and that is the difference between quality scopes and "economy" stuff. Granted, not everyone can afford that, but please, get the best that you CAN afford. You will never regret it, and the game deserves your best shot.
Rant over.
YMMV

__________________

Last edited by RKB; 04-29-2014 at 03:48 AM.
RKB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:37 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21984 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

the suggestion of buying a quality scope costing at least if not more than the rifle or shotgun is great and the same suggestions i have made many times myself. the problem is the boy is only 16 andi doubt he has that deep of pockets and can afford an expensive scope after saving up to buy the shotgun.

just wanted to throw that out there so any suggestions could be kept into proper perspective for the young hunter.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 227
Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts

Default

[quote=RKB;1567311]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
I'd slap a 2-7X Leupold on it and be done.
It's what my deer rifle (.35 remington) wears. 2x is pretty sweet in the woods.

Low power makes movers easy.

In trying to save a few bucks now, you might actually save a few bucks later

So..................just how much is a trophy buck worth?

Figuring in vacation time, gas, maybe lease costs, complaints from the old lady why you're gone so much.........I wouldn't buy a cheap scope.

Have seen many a cheapy fail. Why anybody would risk such a thing, esp if they had big bucks on their hunting ground......is beyond me. But then, even does and smaller bucks deserve a humane death and optics can fail and cause poor hits. Don't scrimp.

QUOTE]
Hookeye, you are SO right.
Your scope should cost at least as much - or more - than your shotgun. (Same logic with a good rifle). You get what you pay for in optics. Leupold is the Gold Standard in this country, for good reason - it earns it. Would you want to lose the trophy of a lifetime because your cheap 'economy' scope fails? Fogs up? Loses focus? Reticle drifts off zero? Seen all of those happen.
Even on my varmint rifle, that holds true, even varmints deserve a clean kill. Being in Europe with a strong US dollar in the '80's I kind of went overboard, bought an 8x56 Schmidt und Bender 30mm tube for my .222 for the price of an equivalent Leupold. Awesome optics! Dusk looks like bright daylight - and that is the difference between quality scopes and "economy" stuff. Granted, not everyone can afford that, but please, get the best that you CAN afford. You will never regret it, and the game deserves your best shot.
Rant over.
YMMV
It's just a summer job and I plan on quitting once school starts so I can focus on my grades. I'm either going to get a Simmons pro hunter or a Bushnell banner rifle scope.
__________________
cva209x50 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Saving Grandpa's Pig Gun dteed4094 Gunsmithing Forum 5 05-06-2013 12:13 AM
Saving Seeds? Trez Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 5 04-22-2012 03:33 AM
saving our constitution. jon1992d The Club House 1 01-09-2012 12:01 PM
Saving for the big bad Les Baer Seanbo123 1911 Forum 7 11-20-2011 05:01 AM
Money Saving? WASR_99 Ammunition & Reloading 6 05-02-2007 02:45 AM