Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > saiga shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default saiga shotgun?

Hey guys,I want to get a semi auto shotgun and I'm thinking of getting a saiga but I don't know anything about them. I like the idea of high capacity and fast reload. I grew up with mosberg pumps so that all I know about.
Can y'all tell me if there a good shotgun? Also I've seen a price range from $800 to $2,500. Why is that?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #2

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had my saiga 12 for 2 years now. It like the cheap fed bird shot from wally world and high brass. Not so much the smoth cheap stuff. There called the vodka specials for a reason and there a few things to look out for when buying them. One is that the gas block was pressed on right, And not covering the gas ports. The other thing to look for is the trigger wire springs. I have had problems with them and had them replaced with real springs. Other tham that i trust it like i trust my ak's. The price range is because of the current siduation with the goverment and depends on what it has already done to it. Pistol grip conversion, trigger group upgrade and if the ffl already made it complient with 922r. For a stock saiga 12 it sould be around 700 now i got mine, an svd, and a 91/30 for $1000 2 years ago.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Last edited by duddie10; 04-16-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6087 Times on 3340 Posts
Likes Given: 11675

My 12 gauge worked great right out of the box; as long as I used buckshot or slugs. That cheap, low brass, bulk ammo wouldn't cycle worth a darn. I upgraded the gas plug and recoil spring and had the bolt polished. It does cycle almost anything now. It just doesn't like Federal bulk low brass bird shot.

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 04-16-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

I had to do some machining to the gasblock on mine to get it go run. It was blocking most of the gas ports. Now it runs like a sewing machine.

Mileage varies as its a crapshoot on these if they run out of the box or not. But they are all fixable with either effort on your part or paying someone to fix it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #5

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Hey guys I'm not really into the saigas so this may be a stupid question but why would you spend that much money on a gun that you have to work on to get it not to jam

Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
Hey guys I'm not really into the saigas so this may be a stupid question but why would you spend that much money on a gun that you have to work on to get it not to jam
cuz there arent any box fed shotguns that can hold 12 rounds or 10 rounds in drums or 20 round drums that will function at all. its not much work really to get one that doesnt run to run.

when you get em going they function realllllly good.

the next closest shotgun with a decent capacity doesnt use box mags and doesnt hold nearly as many rounds and costs over twice as much.

i paid 850$ for mine spent 1 hour of time to fix it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #7

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts

It's the ultimate zombie killer. An AK shotgun, complete with box magazines. Diane Fienstink and Joe Biden lay awake nights worrying about all the carnage they have caused and will undoubtedly cause, despite the fact that to my knowledge not one has yet been used in a mass shooting. or probably any other criminal shooting.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #8

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
Not all saigas have problems. The early one did. It seems now there getting better. Its like any gun and brand even know there the same gun it might not like the same ammo. Like i said before mine eats up the fediral 100rd packs of bird shot from wally world, but it wont cycle right with the winchester 100rd packs.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

They are a killing machine!

Become steel or get cut.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #10

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

So basically it's for magazine capacity???? And the new ones will cycle pretty well????

Last edited by akers06; 04-17-2013 at 11:39 AM.