saiga 12 i need some serious advice - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > saiga 12 i need some serious advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Sig, contact JonM. he has the same shotgun and was having a problem with his. he opened up the gas ports on his i believe. he might have some input on helping you out here.
i drilled out the gas block access hole. it was covering the gas ports.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Mosin Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #32

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

i drilled out the gas block access hole. it was covering the gas ports.
So i should drill out the port hole not the ports themselves

Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #33

Liked 4173 Times on 2044 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Same here, gas block access hole. It partially obscured two of the 3 ports, made all the difference.

I went in with a dremel and a grinding attachment and made the "0" a little bigger, to uncover the holes. Also, what really helped me, was once I had the gas block out, I put in the gas adjustment, and actually observed what the different numbers were doing, as I adjusted from 6-1.

That alone could have been the deciding factor, to be honest. For example, I would tighten up the gas adjustment, then dial it down to "6", thinking it was open.

When I did that with the gas block removed, I could actually observe that "6" was still blocking the gas entering the gas block by covering the ports. Now, when cycling the cheap stuff, I know to tighten the block down, then adjust to "6", then loosen a full cycle to "6" again. Now the ports are completely uncovered.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
So i should drill out the port hole not the ports themselves
only if the ports on the barrel are not visible with the plug and puc removed

do not drill the ports on the barrel. it requires special drill jigs to get the correct angle and not break drill bits. barrel steel is very hard normal store bought bits will just snap. if you drill straight down then it will develop leading problems.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
Same here, gas block access hole. It partially obscured two of the 3 ports, made all the difference.

I went in with a dremel and a grinding attachment and made the "0" a little bigger, to uncover the holes. Also, what really helped me, was once I had the gas block out, I put in the gas adjustment, and actually observed what the different numbers were doing, as I adjusted from 6-1.

That alone could have been the deciding factor, to be honest. For example, I would tighten up the gas adjustment, then dial it down to "6", thinking it was open.

When I did that with the gas block removed, I could actually observe that "6" was still blocking the gas entering the gas block by covering the ports. Now, when cycling the cheap stuff, I know to tighten the block down, then adjust to "6", then loosen a full cycle to "6" again. Now the ports are completely uncovered.
I really like this idea, i have not thought about that.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

do not drill the ports on the barrel. it requires special drill jigs to get the correct angle and not break drill bits. barrel steel is very hard normal store bought bits will just snap. if you drill straight down then it will develop leading problems.
Got ya, that makes sense

Old 11-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Got ya, that makes sense
the point JonM is making about the ports in the barrel is simple. more than likely the barrel being as hard as it is, the ports are probably drilled with a milling bit on a milling machine at a certain angle. and it would be hard to drill them larger without special bits and at the precise angle done originally.

just take it slow and easy and enlarge them a little at time.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

the point JonM is making about the ports in the barrel is simple. more than likely the barrel being as hard as it is, the ports are probably drilled with a milling bit on a milling machine at a certain angle. and it would be hard to drill them larger without special bits and at the precise angle done originally.

just take it slow and easy and enlarge them a little at time.
10-4, ill check the port hole first and if anything more ia needed ill go to lgs Smith and ask him ro do the drilling. Im known there and go there for advise