Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Saiga 12 FTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Saiga 12 FTF

Hi Guys,

I just got my Saiga 12 about 3 weeks ago so I am still learning how this gun works. I have already converted fire control group and replace the stock and all. Now I also know about how Saigas tend to not run weak rounds well so I also bought and auto plug by TAC 47. The first time I shot it with Winchester buck shot and it ran well. A few turns on auto plug and it ran smooth. So I took it out today and ran Federal slugs through it and I was having FTF issues. I put in the Winchester back in that ran fine the first time and it was doing the same. Now the FTF were not every time I could get 3 to 4 shots off and then it would not fire. The rounds looked like they seated fully and nothing but a click from the trigger. I removed the round and cycled the gun again and it would work like I said 3 to 4 more rounds and then FTF. Any hints you can give would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Rustler07; 04-19-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1488 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 7312

On your FTF rounds, was there a strike mark on the primer? When was the last time the shotgun was cleaned, and was the bolt cleaned, oiled, and wiped down after you test fire session? That is where I would start. Your firing pin could be gunked up, or your trigger assembly might be out of whack. I would start with a thorough cleaning first, then a test fire. Beyond that, no ideas. My entire amoukt of experience with Saigas is I have seen one at my LGS. Best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #3

Liked 623 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm no Saiga expert. My S12 runs buck and high brass like a champ. Wally World Federal family packs(#8 low brass) have nothing but problems in mine. It could be your gas ports weren't drilled properly at the factory and need to be opened up. I also have looked at Brownells(I think) Saiga 12 Ultimate Reliability kit.

I'm going to convert mine soon so I'm not sure about this info yet. Hope this helps and good luck. I'll post after I get around to converting mine.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6015 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 11480

FTF failure to feed? Are you saying after one round fires and ejects, it isn't chambering the next round?

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 04-21-2013 at 05:23 AM.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler07 View Post
Now the FTF were not every time I could get 3 to 4 shots off and then it would not fire. The rounds looked like they seated fully and nothing but a click from the trigger. I removed the round and cycled the gun again and it would work like I said 3 to 4 more rounds and then FTF. Any hints you can give would be very much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
FTF failure to feed? Are you saying after one round fires and ejects, it isn't clambering the next round?
McCool, The issue is a fail to fire, not a fail to feed. See above quote from the OP.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
On your FTF rounds, was there a strike mark on the primer? When was the last time the shotgun was cleaned, and was the bolt cleaned, oiled, and wiped down after you test fire session? That is where I would start. Your firing pin could be gunked up, or your trigger assembly might be out of whack. I would start with a thorough cleaning first, then a test fire. Beyond that, no ideas. My entire amoukt of experience with Saigas is I have seen one at my LGS. Best of luck.
I broke the gun down and cleaned it. It did not have much dirt in it. Going to try it again Tuesday and hope that corrects the issue. I cant remember if the fail to fire rounds had a strike mark on them or not. If I have the problem again I will take note. Not sure what you mean by out of whack on the trigger group? While I was cleaning it I checked the trigger group out and everything moves nice a smooth. The pins are in place, they have a small amount of side movement but very little. Is that normal or should the be tight?

Last edited by Rustler07; 04-22-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #7

Well the test run on the gun after cleaning had bad things happen but also good things. Once again having fail to fire issues every so often. This time looking at the no fire shells there is no mark on the primer. I go through about 20 rounds then the damn BHO spring came off and the gun was done. So I take the gun apart to fix the BHO spring and notice that the main spring/hammer spring looks odd. The legs or arms whatever you want to call them no longer match. One is either bent to much or the other is not bent enough. Now this is and after market spring so I put back the original spring and put everything back together. The gun runs like a champ now without a single fail to fire in 100 rounds. Do any of you know what would cause the aftermarket spring to bend like it did? Not that it really matters the gun is running sweet and I dont think I am going to mess with it since its running good now.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5254 Times on 2740 Posts
Likes Given: 331

not installed right. it can be a little tricky to get the internals back intot he recievers of the saiga 12 just right

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
not installed right. it can be a little tricky to get the internals back intot he recievers of the saiga 12 just right
This is what I meant by out of whack. Either an internal component or the trigger group is not seated right. Like I said in my earlier post, my total experiencewith a Saiga 12 is that I have seen one at my LGS.

Si vis pacem parabellum.