Saiga 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Saiga 12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Saiga 12

I've been wanting a saiga 12 for a long time now, however whenever i watch reviews or read them it always sounds like you have to buy a rebuild kit for it so that yu can make it shoot low brass and up to slugs. i see where they change the plug and gas regulator thing, i just want a clear answer on how much i will have to spend to make a saiga 12 fuction on all runds i feel like putting threw it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #2

Well boss, a bit over $900.
I know this because i read a article in a Cop and Law Enforcment magazine, about the Saiga and how it could be good for LEO's

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

My S12 is box stock and works like a champ with whatever I run through it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeswithbacon View Post
Well boss, a bit over $900.
I know this because i read a article in a Cop and Law Enforcment magazine, about the Saiga and how it could be good for LEO's
I'm sorry what do you mean?

Op I have never heard of that problem with the saiga 12, I only have limited experience and limited information on them, but I never saw that problem.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Buy it and don't look back. I bought two quite a while ago and people keep trying to buy them from me. Both are converted and have a steady diet of buckshot. Sorry cant answer anything about birdshot, but I haven't heard too many problem with them. Most of the time its the gas ports either plugged or not machined all the way. But hey S12's shouldn't be fed that whimpy stuff....lol

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
I'm sorry what do you mean?
What do you mean?

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #7

My saiga 12 had a few hiccups with the low brass Walmart loads. Who am I kidding it wasn't even brass more like recycled tin. if you run buck or slug or some shells other than the cheap Wally value packs i bet you won't have a problem. The reason the "fix" came out is because everyone wants to do mag dumps with cheap ammo. Most of the problem with my Saiga was with Winchester green box #8 shot. I switches to black Winchester AA and i had absolutely no problem with it. i think it's pretty funny but i couldn't get mine sold to save my life back when i wanted to get rid of it. here is a pic of it. maybe i should put the plastic stock on it might sell quicker since everyone seems to be into the tactical look these days.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

recently did some trading and ended up with a really nice Saiga 12. It has not had the trigger conversion, but has enough US parts on it to make it 922stupidity compliant. It shoots most everything with no problems. I bought a new "Vplug" for it and haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

im000477.jpg  

Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #9

Ok heres the low down on it. Saigas run well on high brass stuff slugs and buck. But fail in light game loads. I started box stock and all the way to full modified. The gas adjust plugs are for a variety of loads. I shoot 3 gun and my saiga will stove pipe birdshot with the stock bolt spring. In competition i use low recoil slugs and birdshot heavy game load. Usually 7.5 2.3/4 heavy. And the gas plug set on 3 . With the light spring in the gun do.........not.........shoot..............buck or full slugs through the gun it will break the perch for the bolt spring and the bolt. The gas block is set at +/- setting. With the original spring in it. Russians do not have quality control standards for these guns and 90 % need some form of coaxing to run properly. Greg with carolina shooters is about the best tool in the shed for parts and advise on m. As for your gunsmith mods to the saiga 12. Tromiz...........high dollar. Stick with the service center for saiga. In ohio. They can SBS YOUR SAIGA FOR around 400 or less. Do not over pay for this. Shop around. I have seen in excess of 1800 for SBS MODS. Dont do it. Its not rocket science and the american saiga service center knows m best. You will love your saiga if you play it right. It will need tweeked trust me right out of the box. Guys that say saigas eat anything dont shoot them enough. Try 300 rounds right out of the box first trip and youll see. Not 1 or 2 boxes of what ever. I use mine primarily for home defense and 500 rounds of zero failures puts my mind at ease protecting life and home with a saiga. They are heavy guns but when plowing through round after round of 00 buck. Your body will like the extra weight behind the gun. Trust me.
Heres a fun excercise....................for dark target allocation. I shoot skeet in the dark. My saiga has a weapon mounted light. Full custom setup. Its great practice.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #10

Default Problems with my Saiga-12

I have had a ton of extracting and ejecting issues with my Saiga. I installed the 4 position gas block and I'm still having the problems. Some of the spent shells are getting "pinched" in the chamber like its half ejecting it and half loading it. If anyone has any advice I welcome ALL suggestions.

Thank you in advance to all who reply.

Mark