Ruger reintroduces the Red Label shotgun. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Ruger reintroduces the Red Label shotgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 30

My Red label is my go to gun for sporting clays. These new one will be going for $1000 to $1200 at your LGS. Don't go by the picture. The fit and finish is very good on these shotguns. This is the only american made over and under shotgun other than custom high dollar guns.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Got mine! I love it.

I bought mine back in January. I had rotator cuff surgery in Sept. of last year and couldn't shoot it until May. I have a Citori with 26 in. barrels and it took me a few rounds of skeet to get used to 30 in. barrels. And to get used to swinging a gun - any gun - after 5 months of rehab. My last round of skeet was 22, so it is coming around. Only shot a few rounds of trap with 22 my best there.

Mine was $1150 + tax, which I don't think was too bad. Nice case, 5 chokes and nice balance to me. I think the fit and finish is very good. The checkering is crisp. A fellow I was talking to at the S&T range took issue with my statement it was the only American made O/U. He said Kouhler (sp?) in Mn. also made one. Yeah, for $18,000 +++!

I did hear recently that they have jumped the price $400. I had planned on getting the 20 ga. when they come out, but that may be a game changer for me. I will have to see what the street price will be. I hate to say it, but at 73 I am beginning to like a little bit lighter gun. But, I would buy that Red Label again tomorrow. I have wanted one ever since the '70s when they first came out. I understand there were some problems with a few of the originals, but everyone I know that had one, or still has one, loves them, or cries about ever selling it.

What's not to like?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #23

Liked 185 Times on 136 Posts

Rather than re-introducing the Gold Label the rumor mill I hear says the Red Label may be going away again. I was really hoping they would get their issues worked out so I could get a Gold Label.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #24
RKB

Liked 196 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I liked the lines of the Gold Label, but it didn't have enough triggers.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #25

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seriously disappointed they jacked the msrp by $400. Probably just pushed this over the limit of quite a few people. Having a sub $1000 American over/under was a big selling point.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Rather than re-introducing the Gold Label the rumor mill I hear says the Red Label may be going away again. I was really hoping they would get their issues worked out so I could get a Gold Label.
I was talking to one of my gun nut friends who works at Academy yesterday, he said the rumor was coming down that production was about to begin on the 20 ga. I hope so. If I can get one for 15-1600, I will probably do it.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #27

A LOT of Ruger Red Label 2s have gone back to Ruger for service; some more than once. Your money, but I would still wait and see.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 325 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I shoot skeet w a guy who bought a 12 ga Red Label - kicked like a Mule. He sent it to Gunsmith who installed Graco's recoil reducer. I shot 1/2 rd of skeet w it, still kicks like a Mule.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9080 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
A LOT of Ruger Red Label 2s have gone back to Ruger for service; some more than once. Your money, but I would still wait and see.
Where did you hear these rumors? I would like to look into them more. Also interested in where you heard they were going to stop production on the Red Label II. I haven't heard any bad things about it at all.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #30

Do a Google search. I know one guy who had a 28 gauge Ruger 1 and bought a new one based on that experience and it has been back twice. Last time was for a long time, too.
I purely do not understand it. I have owned a slew of Ruger firearms, still own 5, plenty a lot more complicated than an O/U, and have never had an issue beyond the throat on revolvers needing to be opened up where the threads pinched it down a bit - well known and easily remedied. I sort of figured when they went from the two piece investment casting frame to the new one piece design they had nailed it, but apparently not so. Several reports of shells slipping under the extractors and other stuff. I think they need to send some of the pistol guys over there to help out for a while or something. I don't know if it's design tolerances or manufacturing controls or design period. Frustrating, like GM can't make (or have made) a switch and Toyota can't make an accelerator. FAR from rocket science.