Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Ruger reintroduces the Red Label shotgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Looking at the website I can't say I like the way the forestock mates with the receiver on the bottom. The wood seems poorly fit as well.

receiver.jpg  

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1345 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Looking at the website I can't say I like the way the forestock mates with the receiver on the bottom. The wood seems poorly fit as well.
Not to mention that is a walnut stock. It seems that Ruger could have found a gun that had better grain for their demo photo.

Really for the red label to take off on skeet ranges and sporting clay enthusiasts they need to make a 28 ga. Most matches in this area are shot with a 28 ga or a 410. If the matches were shot with a 12 ga they would go on until someone fell asleep.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Not to mention that is a walnut stock. It seems that Ruger could have found a gun that had better grain for their demo photo.

Really for the red label to take off on skeet ranges and sporting clay enthusiasts they need to make a 28 ga. Most matches in this area are shot with a 28 ga or a 410. If the matches were shot with a 12 ga they would go on until someone fell asleep.
Agreed on the wood quality. Now that I look at the pic I posted the mating between the mainstock and receiver looks a little loose too.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #14

Liked 619 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 12

They were first introduced in '77 I think, only in 20ga. I really hope they also bring back the Gold Label. Same quality, but a side by side. American Rifleman TV just did a feature(I have this old gun) on them.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1320 Times on 917 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
They were first introduced in '77 I think, only in 20ga. I really hope they also bring back the Gold Label. Same quality, but a side by side. American Rifleman TV just did a feature(I have this old gun) on them.
Beretta and Browning got this market segment cornered. I don't think Ruger can beat Stoeger on value, or that Ruger will outclass Benelli and Browning doubles. It's only chance is Buy American. It may actually work.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19473 Times on 11062 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Beretta and Browning got this market segment cornered. I don't think Ruger can beat Stoeger on value, or that Ruger will outclass Benelli and Browning doubles. It's only chance is Buy American. It may actually work.
true. and with a MSRP of $1399, they need a more competitive price as well. going to be interesting to see what they end up selling for at the gun stores.

it's not a bad looking shotgun, but at that price, i just don't have a use for a high priced O/U shotgun as of now. and if i were to pony up that amount for one, i would probably look for an older Browning Citori.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #17

Liked 619 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

true. and with a MSRP of $1399, they need a more competitive price as well. going to be interesting to see what they end up selling for at the gun stores.

it's not a bad looking shotgun, but at that price, i just don't have a use for a high priced O/U shotgun as of now. and if i were to pony up that amount for one, i would probably look for an older Browning Citori.
My thoughts exactly for an over/under! I'd much rather pony up the cash for a used Citori rather than a new Red Label.

Anyone have any info on them re releasing the Gold Label?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
RUT
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

>>Really for the red label to take off on skeet ranges and sporting clay enthusiasts they need to make a 28 ga. Most matches in this area are shot with a 28 ga or a 410<<

I agree... they need to bring these things out in the "sub" gauges to be really successful.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 887 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had mine since the late 80s 200+ rounds of medium trap loads a week till the mid 90s when I got married then maybe 100 rounds a month until my kid was born in '02. Sort of tapered off after that.

Never had a problem with it, and it fits me well.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I fell in love with a Red Label 20 in the late 70's when someone raffled one off at the construction site I was working. I didn't win. It took until 2002 before I could afford one and I bought a new 12. I'm not the best shot but I got a double pheasant hunting on my first outing with it, first shots taken. It just pointed for me like no other gun I've hunted with. I wouldn't trade it for anything.