Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Rough 870 Action? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/rough-870-action-47491/)

tCan 08-29-2011 07:55 AM

Rough 870 Action?

From what I understand, the 870 action is supposed to be quite smooth, but once the action is open half-way on my 870, it seems to get quite a bit rougher. Just wondering if this typical or not.

robocop10mm 08-29-2011 11:03 AM

You probably have an "Express". They are not finished out as nicely as the classic "Wingmaster". WTS it will wear in and smooth out with repeated cycling of the action. Shoot the snot out of it and you will be happy after a couple hundred rounds.

JonM 08-29-2011 02:04 PM

I agree with robocop, my mossbergs 590 and 835 were rough until i shot em a bit now they are like a butter covered fat kid going down a slipnslide

neilage66 08-29-2011 02:09 PM

Many of life's problems can be solved by the liberal application of lubricant. ;)

If you've shucked any well-used 870's, the experience will give you something to look forward to with your shotgun. They get smoother with use.

tCan 08-30-2011 06:43 AM

:) Good :) An excuse to shoot moar. :p

dailygundeals 08-30-2011 09:35 PM

Training fixes rough actions - both gun and operator

Get into a good training program that'll run you and your weapon through the ringer and expose you to the "best method" for your body / weapon system. By the end of that training your weapon should be "broken in".
Training will also expose you to malfunctions and other traits that your weapon might have that'll need to be mastered BEFORE you have someone break down your door at 2:00 AM high on Meth and determined not to go back into the "Big House". Just a few little things like: Malfunctions, Reloading, Select Slug Drills, Use of Tactical Light, Tactical Movement, etc...

tCan 08-31-2011 02:47 AM

I bought this for sporting, but thanks. Though, I have been drilling shouldering and swinging fluidly....

My model has a 26" ribbed barrel w/bead sight and laminate wood stock. Bare bones, but definitely primarily for sporting. And yes, it's an Express.

Also, that grease they put in the barrel at the factory is a bane to remove without solvent...

dailygundeals 09-01-2011 04:59 PM

Grease in the barrel

I've heard that Grease in the barrel comes out without any effort if you send some slugs through it at high speed followed high temp gases. (LOL)
What sporting use will you use that 870 for... are you going to get out this fall with it? We have a big Texas turkey hunt planned for Thanksgiving time. Shawn

tCan 09-01-2011 05:03 PM

Unfortunately I'm not very mobile. No car. I'm gonna try to get in with some people and go dove hunting to start with, but I would really love to be able to shoot geese and deer. Could be difficult though, I live in Charlotte. It's pretty big and I'm smack in the center of it. Not exactly a hunting city. :D

PanBaccha 09-01-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 571410)
You probably have an "Express". They are not finished out as nicely as the classic "Wingmaster". WTS it will wear in and smooth out with repeated cycling of the action. Shoot the snot out of it and you will be happy after a couple hundred rounds.

Good to know. Thanks for the insightful advice.