Rock Island M5 review - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rock Island M5 review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2113 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i really don't have this problem. very seldom have ever had issues with any firearm i have bought new. i generally check something out pretty closely before i decide i am going to buy it. if it's not acceptable in fit, finish or function i don't buy it. and actually i do expect a quality item when i buy it. if i buy new, i expect new, not a second.

of course not buying mine online like you, and buying mine from my LGS i can see what i am thinking of buying before i put my money down. plus my LGS has a very solid reputation and has been in business for over 35 years.
When a gun is shipped to a FFL you can decline the gun. Once you fill out the paperwork and pay the FFL fee it's your baby. When I get a new gun I am worse than a kid. All I want is ammo and a place to shoot. To protect myself I have my guns shipped to my gunsmith. He inspects all my guns new or used before I see them. He sees things right away that might take months for me to notice.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 11-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #42
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
When a gun is shipped to a FFL you can decline the gun. Once you fill out the paperwork and pay the FFL fee it's your baby. When I get a new gun I am worse than a kid. All I want is ammo and a place to shoot. To protect myself I have my guns shipped to my gunsmith. He inspects all my guns new or used before I see them. He sees things right away that might take months for me to notice.
well i will keep right on supporting my LGS. he has been in business for about 35 years now and has a solid reputation of being a fair dealer and really great guy to do business with. even a few members here have done business with my LGS and have nothing but praise for him.

you do it your way and i'll do it my way. plus he will order any gun i want that he doesn't stock. he may charge just a little more than some online gun sale outfits, but i get top quality customer service and help support a local business and his family.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2113 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well i will keep right on supporting my LGS. he has been in business for about 35 years now and has a solid reputation of being a fair dealer and really great guy to do business with. even a few members here have done business with my LGS and have nothing but praise for him.

you do it your way and i'll do it my way. plus he will order any gun i want that he doesn't stock. he may charge just a little more than some online gun sale outfits, but i get top quality customer service and help support a local business and his family.
The LGS in this area claim they can't buy a gun for MSRP. If you have issues with a gun you purchased there you are on your own. Despite the fact they order guns through Davidsons and have posters on the wall saying official Davidsons dealer. They act like giving you a box to return a gun is hard labor.

I order my long guns through the sporting clay club I belong to. FFL are free but most members donate enough to buy a dozen quail when they use the clubs FFL. We have been stocking quail for several years. You can actually hear wild quail whistling in the summer. We had no quail at all five years ago.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #44

I got my m5 a couple weeks ago, been working so much overtime I haven't had the time to take it out. When I do I will give my review on it then. I got it for $175 nib and I'm sure it will serve its purpose as an, under the bed/just in case, shot gun

Old 05-24-2014, 01:06 AM   #45

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

I just picked one up for 219 + tax and background check ( like 5 bucks) . Wow , what a gun . I don't have any of the machine mark issues ArrizX had though. The Machines musta been runnin good that day . Action is smooth as butter. I got the black parkerized.

I put a few rounds through this thing , shoots great . And the receiver is steel , barrel is steel . Not alot of plastic except the foregrip and stock . Machine quallity seems to be on point.

And also this shoots 5+1 of 2 3/4 too

I really dig it . And I got it from a davidsons distributor so if it ever breaks I can exchange it on the spot for a new shotgun.

1.jpg   download.jpg  

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 05-24-2014 at 02:04 AM.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #46

After putting a few boxes through this thing today . I must say I'm impressed. I thought this would be a cheaply made gun . This thing is awesome. With a round chambered just hit the slide safety button and the action drops and shell is ejected under its own weight . So smooth . The elevator is in the up postition when action is forward which I like so you can just pop rounds into the tube without battling any elevator spring . With the action to the rear position you can just drop a round in the chamber and put it in battery .

Two slide rails , steel everything . The bead is pretty accurate. Has a nice round pattern .

smoother than any shotgun I've ever shot once it broke in . bout 40 shells did it .

2.jpg  

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-05-2014, 03:11 AM   #47
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2356 Times on 1275 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Until the 7th Big 5 has the nickel M5 for $220 + tax. I have a 10% off coupon. Not to hot on Nickel. The have the Mossberg 500 2 barrel set for $320 + tax. Tax is about 8.5% so the coupon would bring it to just under the sale price OTD. I will look at the M5 now that I know what to look for but will probably go with the Mossberg unless it is really impressive.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #48
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2356 Times on 1275 Posts
Likes Given: 677

I went in to Big 5 and looked at the M5. No where near as bad as the OP's but still some bad spots. I bought the Mossberg 500 2 barrel combo and 50 rounds of Remington 9 pellet 00 buck OTD $367.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #49

Hey if anyone finds anywhere that sells the M5 7rd tube magazine please let me know ? I looked on numerich ( sp? ) And it is out of stock ( perpetually ) and I cant find anywhere else that sells them .

I wrote RIA to see if they make them and got a vague " We dont have any " response and look for them online .

This shotgun would be perfect with a bit higher capacity