Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rock Island M5 review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Nice shotgun if you need a cheap loaner or something. Pretty shoddy machine work if you ask me. I will stick with Remington's but its good to know there are some decent cheap pumps out there in case I needed to stock up.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #32

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

after seeing all the pictures of the shoddy craftsmanship......it looks like a busted dogs ass

Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Marcus Aurelius

Old 11-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Nice shotgun if you need a cheap loaner or something. Pretty shoddy machine work if you ask me. I will stick with Remington's but its good to know there are some decent cheap pumps out there in case I needed to stock up.
hey man.....seeing all the chips out of the metal i would be scarred to shoot a weapon like that. i'm a fabricator with machine exp and honestly i would be ashamed to let something like that leave my shop. how much was the price $19.95 ? what about the grind marks ? lmao W.T.F. is all that about ? . is 7 yr old children in haiti building these..... if so tell them to quit playing hockey with the parts before they put them together. this has to be a joke....cause honestly i've never seen such a P.o.S. in my life

Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Marcus Aurelius

Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1348 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I have some more to add. I bought the RI with the intentions of giving it to him and getting myself a Mossburg 500. I decided to buy the Mossburg today and gave my brother the RI. After getting the Mossburg home and looking it over well I really do feel the RI was made a little heavier and seemed to have a leg up on overall quality. It is a very solid shotgun and I love the fact it came with the heat shield and love the brush on the bold carrier. Its a better looking shotgun in my opinion and when I shot it I found it very smooth and comfortable. At this point I wish I would have kept it and given the Mossburg to my brother. Lol. Anyway IMO for the price there is not a better shotgun out there at this point.

Also I was able to put a pistol grip on it. I had to do a little filing on a Mossburg adapter for the ATI to fit, but it was easy and only took about 5 minutes. I was not able to find a pistol grip made specifically for the RI but there may be one out there.
The Mossberg is lighter because it has an aluminum receiver. The RI felt tighter because the rods are welded on the slide. You have to run around 250 rounds through a Mossberg before it "breaks in." Everything that is loose about a Mossberg is to make it more reliable and easier to shoot. Mossberg hasn't sold 50 million 500s because they break.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #35

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Pretty harsh critics.....a few minutes with some sandpaper and maybe some file work will take care of most of what I think you guys are talking about......

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Last edited by longunner; 11-17-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #36

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Pretty harsh critics.....a few minutes with some sandpaper and maybe some file work will take care of most of what I think you guys are talking about......
a few mins ?......really man ?......did you not see " the better pictures " ? did you see the metal busted out ? that comes from debris being in the metal from the foundry, shoddy workmanship, grind marks , the reciever looked like it was cast in a old sand cast from the dark ages, the trigger gaurd dont line up, the but stock where it meets up is sub par.... this gun would be a last resort user and then id be scared it would blow up in my face.

Marcus Aurelius

bamashooter68 Likes This 
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #37

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
LOL!!!!!!! Its gonna take more than some sandpaper and a file to fix that shotgun. Im not trying to put anyone down or anything but if you think this shotgun is ok like it is, go look at a Remington or Mossberg and see what they look like. No way after seeing this gun would I have bought it. At any price. OP if you like it I guess that's all that matters. Watch out for splinters from the stock and cutting yourself on the ''machine work'' and enjoy.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #38

Liked 306 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 5

better yet, go look at an old High Standard 200 or JC Higgins model 20, which is the deisgn Rock Island used for the M5, right down to the jeweled bolt.

that is a bit disappointing to see considering how nice my Rock Island 1911 was right out of the box.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1348 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Where is this coming from? When you buy a new gun you should expect a new gun, not a second. This is why there is so much garbage on store shelves. People don't expect a quality finished product. If they have to fix something that is new they are good with it.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #40
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19528 Times on 11084 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Where is this coming from? When you buy a new gun you should expect a new gun, not a second. This is why there is so much garbage on store shelves. People don't expect a quality finished product. If they have to fix something that is new they are good with it.
i really don't have this problem. very seldom have ever had issues with any firearm i have bought new. i generally check something out pretty closely before i decide i am going to buy it. if it's not acceptable in fit, finish or function i don't buy it. and actually i do expect a quality item when i buy it. if i buy new, i expect new, not a second.

of course not buying mine online like you, and buying mine from my LGS i can see what i am thinking of buying before i put my money down. plus my LGS has a very solid reputation and has been in business for over 35 years.