Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rock Island 12 guage not loading shells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Rock Island 12 guage not loading shells

I got the RI 12 guage M5at a gun show yesterday and took it apart to clean it and now it wont load the shells correctly. It will eject them, and will load them sporadically, but thats it. Is there an easy fix to this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Liked 1967 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Where are they hanging up? Are they coming out of the mag tube? Getting stuck part way out if the mag tube, is the shell elevator working properly?

Had a similar issue with a Mossberg 500 that I tore down and cleaned and when I reassembled it the interrupter Wa not fully seated in its groove and pin hole. Seen similar on 870 if I wasn't paying attention in reassembly.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Where are they hanging up? Are they coming out of the mag tube? Getting stuck part way out if the mag tube, is the shell elevator working properly?

Had a similar issue with a Mossberg 500 that I tore down and cleaned and when I reassembled it the interrupter Wa not fully seated in its groove and pin hole. Seen similar on 870 if I wasn't paying attention in reassembly.
Its just not coming out of the mag tube at all.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #4

Liked 1967 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Take it apart again, and make sure the interrupter bar or shell stop for the mag is seated properly.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
interesting. If I turn it upside down it loads every time. Took it apart everything seemed ok

Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
interesting. If I turn it upside down it loads every time. Took it apart everything seemed ok
That would indicate the shell lift is not seated right. When you assemble the gun the shell lift goes in first. Then you slide the firing pin block in the front of the receiver. The base of the firing pin block goes in next through the front of the receiver. Next you put the shell stop and interrupter in place through the bottom of the receiver. Put the trigger assembly in through the bottom of the receiver. Replace the roll pin/s that hold the trigger assembly in place. You should be good to go.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
That would indicate the shell lift is not seated right. When you assemble the gun the shell lift goes in first. Then you slide the firing pin block in the front of the receiver. The base of the firing pin block goes in next through the front of the receiver. Next you put the shell stop and interrupter in place through the bottom of the receiver. Put the trigger assembly in through the bottom of the receiver. Replace the roll pin/s that hold the trigger assembly in place. You should be good to go.
think I got it
Thanks guys

Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Wanted to update in case anyone had a similar problem. I flipped the gun over and there was I tiny screw where you load the shells above the shell stop. I tightened it up and have not had a problem since. Apparantly this screw can work loose fairly easily and it loosens the shell stop. Cycles flawlessly now. I may take it out and put a little lock tight on it. Took it out and shot it and love it. I bought it as a gift for my brother for Christmas. I was going to get a Mossburg but now I think I may keep it lol.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I would keep the Mossberg. If you need a barrel, chokes, after market stocks you name it, you can find it for a mossberg. Good luck with the rock island.

Right now you cannot predict what you are going to do with a shotgun. I never thought I would shoot skeet, have a slug gun complete with a scope or turkey hunt.

At 21 all I was interested in was quail and rabbits. I had a sweet 16 browning that I thought was the only shotgun I would ever need. Right now shotguns are multiplying like rabbits around here.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-19-2013 at 01:03 AM.