Rock Island 12 guage not loading shells
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rock Island 12 guage not loading shells

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ccase39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Orleans La
Posts: 815
Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Rock Island 12 guage not loading shells

I got the RI 12 guage M5at a gun show yesterday and took it apart to clean it and now it wont load the shells correctly. It will eject them, and will load them sporadically, but thats it. Is there an easy fix to this?


ccase39 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,688
Liked 2451 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Default

Where are they hanging up? Are they coming out of the mag tube? Getting stuck part way out if the mag tube, is the shell elevator working properly?

Had a similar issue with a Mossberg 500 that I tore down and cleaned and when I reassembled it the interrupter Wa not fully seated in its groove and pin hole. Seen similar on 870 if I wasn't paying attention in reassembly.


SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ccase39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Orleans La
Posts: 815
Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Where are they hanging up? Are they coming out of the mag tube? Getting stuck part way out if the mag tube, is the shell elevator working properly?

Had a similar issue with a Mossberg 500 that I tore down and cleaned and when I reassembled it the interrupter Wa not fully seated in its groove and pin hole. Seen similar on 870 if I wasn't paying attention in reassembly.
Its just not coming out of the mag tube at all.
ccase39 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,688
Liked 2451 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Its just not coming out of the mag tube at all.
Take it apart again, and make sure the interrupter bar or shell stop for the mag is seated properly.
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ccase39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Orleans La
Posts: 815
Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Its just not coming out of the mag tube at all.
interesting. If I turn it upside down it loads every time. Took it apart everything seemed ok
.
ccase39 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
interesting. If I turn it upside down it loads every time. Took it apart everything seemed ok
.
That would indicate the shell lift is not seated right. When you assemble the gun the shell lift goes in first. Then you slide the firing pin block in the front of the receiver. The base of the firing pin block goes in next through the front of the receiver. Next you put the shell stop and interrupter in place through the bottom of the receiver. Put the trigger assembly in through the bottom of the receiver. Replace the roll pin/s that hold the trigger assembly in place. You should be good to go.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ccase39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Orleans La
Posts: 815
Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
That would indicate the shell lift is not seated right. When you assemble the gun the shell lift goes in first. Then you slide the firing pin block in the front of the receiver. The base of the firing pin block goes in next through the front of the receiver. Next you put the shell stop and interrupter in place through the bottom of the receiver. Put the trigger assembly in through the bottom of the receiver. Replace the roll pin/s that hold the trigger assembly in place. You should be good to go.
think I got it
Thanks guys
ccase39 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ccase39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Orleans La
Posts: 815
Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Wanted to update in case anyone had a similar problem. I flipped the gun over and there was I tiny screw where you load the shells above the shell stop. I tightened it up and have not had a problem since. Apparantly this screw can work loose fairly easily and it loosens the shell stop. Cycles flawlessly now. I may take it out and put a little lock tight on it. Took it out and shot it and love it. I bought it as a gift for my brother for Christmas. I was going to get a Mossburg but now I think I may keep it lol.
ccase39 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

I would keep the Mossberg. If you need a barrel, chokes, after market stocks you name it, you can find it for a mossberg. Good luck with the rock island.

Right now you cannot predict what you are going to do with a shotgun. I never thought I would shoot skeet, have a slug gun complete with a scope or turkey hunt.

At 21 all I was interested in was quail and rabbits. I had a sweet 16 browning that I thought was the only shotgun I would ever need. Right now shotguns are multiplying like rabbits around here.



Last edited by John_Deer; 11-19-2013 at 01:03 AM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
What is the best way too carry 100 rounds of 12 guage shells? ? hq357 General Shotgun Discussion 18 07-21-2013 02:08 AM
Mossberg 500 not loading shells GlockRenegade General Shotgun Discussion 14 04-29-2013 05:02 AM
rock island juststartin5272 1911 Forum 17 09-26-2012 10:04 PM
Rock island Upon1cbr 1911 Forum 22 10-11-2011 12:25 AM
Shells for a 10 guage Damascus Double TheOldMan General Shotgun Discussion 5 11-06-2010 08:31 AM



Newest Threads